SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  Collecting for the future...
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Collecting for the future...

tommythecat420
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
Hello, I have been wondering about this for a while.

I LOVE Creature skateboards. I love the fact that out of all the current companies they are (in my eyes) the most iconic, and they have the gnarliest team at the mo.

So, is it worth buying the limited edition boards, and just putting them away for 20 years down the line?

Does anyone think the limited boards will be worth a decent amount in the future, or would be wasted money???
smokie
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:31 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
tommythecat420 wrote:

Does anyone think the limited boards will be worth a decent amount in the future, or would be wasted money???

Don´t expect decks that have "limited edition" on it to gain value in the future.
tommythecat420
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I know there are tons of 'limited edition' boards out there that aren't really very limited...but runs of 300 or 400 are pretty small, right?

I'm also wondering what other companies products may be worth saving for the future - just ideas and opinions, obviously. I just a have a feeling that the creature stuff may be worth saving, but I'm biased because I like their stuff so much, so...

I also think that Girl, Almost, Enjoi, and some of the flip stuff may be worth saving, but only the really interesting ones (which are pretty few and far between...). I mean, look at the price of a NOS Walker Nightmare now...

BTW, feel like a dick asking this, but I can't find an 'introduce yourself' thread...is there one?
Peace!
buzzbuzz
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
tommythecat420 wrote:

BTW, feel like a dick asking this, but I can't find an 'introduce yourself' thread...is there one?
Peace!

You've introduced yourself......most don't.....

introduction optional site.....

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote
tommythecat420 wrote:

I also think that Girl, Almost, Enjoi, and some of the flip stuff may be worth saving, but only the really interesting ones (which are pretty few and far between...). I mean, look at the price of a NOS Walker Nightmare now...

I don´t think any of those companies you named (except maybe Girl) will earn you money in the future.

If you want to collect now to flip them sometime later, stick to pro models from iconic skaters and NOS decks that are still available now for low prices like PP Mountains, Saiz, Barbees or something like that.
Those will go up for sure...just look at decks like the Hawk chicken skull, the Grabkes, Toyodas etc...they were still cheap some years ago.

You may not be able to get out what you paid in the next few years, or ever.
Just check out the For Sale thread to see what sells and for fair prizes, but remember to line up after members that have been looking for certain decks in the Wanted thread.

And don´t throw out money right now only to "build up" a collection. Those are the decks we´re about to see in the For Sale thread within the next couple of months.
hotrod
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:39 am Reply with quote
tommythecat420 wrote:
Hello, I have been wondering about this for a while.

I LOVE Creature skateboards. I love the fact that out of all the current companies they are (in my eyes) the most iconic, and they have the gnarliest team at the mo.

So, is it worth buying the limited edition boards, and just putting them away for 20 years down the line?

you know...i was gonna write a real pisstaking reply to this but im not gonna.
so many companies seem to be releasing 'limited edition' everythings these days. doesnt mean fuck all most of the time.
you think your limited edition 'spice girls- spiceworld' video will be worth anything in 20 years time? the fact that they produced about 9 million copies of it doesnt mean shit i guess eh?
(altho someone i used to work with many many years ago, a man who was so fucking tight we used to joke that he took the piss cubes out the urinal and give em to his kids saying they were cola cubes 'but dad...they smell of piss?' 'why you ungrateful bastards!'
anyway, he bought his daughter the above mentioned video and let her watch it on xmas day when she got it and then i think on her birthday which was in feb. he then took it away, wrapped it up and hid it in the loft as 'it will be a collectors item one day' )

i do really like the early creature stuff they did. the barker barrett 'day the earth stood still' and the jason adams 'bela lugosi' ones look fucking great to me and would love to own em but all this neony shite looks like walmart/asda smart price halloween shite to me!

no one knows what going to be worth anything in 10 years.
if we did, then it would be pretty fucking boring really wouldnt it?

buy decks to skate or if you like the graphics to look at then hang em or make a fucking kitchen worktop outta them but dont buy em in the hope of getting rich as you will prob get bitten on yer ass big time when it doesnt happen!

MORE IMPORTANTLY THO....JUST HAVE FUN!

....but I can skate for Bacon wrapped hotdogs with pulled pork and Glass bottled Dr Pepper!
tommythecat420
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the thoughtful replies, I really appreciate it.

You know, I really see where you are coming from, and I decided a while ago only to buy a board if I really like the art first and foremost.

And no, I'm not going to just go and buy everything I can and horde it for the future!
I was just thinking about it because of the prices of some of the NOS decks from 20 years ago, and there are some interesting shapes out there (not many, but a few...).

I would not put a popsicle stick in my collection, it has to be interesting. And as for limited, I have to know HOW limited! 1 of 300 seems ok to me, if it's a nice shape and has great art...there are plenty of their boards I wouldn't want, but I few that I do, so I may as well get them just for myself.

Yeah, TBH I was speculating for a possible retirement fund bonus, but I think I agree that collecting stuff that is worth a decent amount already is the way to go...

Anyone got any spare BDS boards? ( Joking, I can't afford any right now anyway...!)

And in case anyone is wondering, my current riders are a re-issue roskopp (blue, hard to find now) and a limited Creature Dressen. I get them to ride more than anything.
Bopster
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Buy decks to either skate or buy the ones that you like the art or connect with for what ever reason.

If we thought that decks would be our retirement fund we'd be kidding ourselves, we bought because we loved them and if in the meantime they made a few $$$ then good, because a lot of people hang onto stuff and don't sell unless they have to or because they change the things they collect.

Some of the rarer decks are worth not much than when they first came out, but a common deck that sold a boatload will go through the roof because of its appeal to a wider amount of people (see T.Hawk)

fact of the matter is your not gonna get rich, or we'd all be there with a few years head start

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Apr 2009 Posts: 5555 Location: In your backyard skating, PA
The decks with heat transfers are not gonna be worth anything down the road.

My 2 cents.
slavadov
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The skateboard market is super-saturated right now. As others have alluded to, it's hard (nigh on impossible) to put any realistic guess as to what boards are gonna be "worth saving" for the future. Limited Edition don't mean shit most of the time, although I've been told that it's a somewhat good indication of collector value in the future, if it truly is a limited run. Heck, look at the Per Welinder reissues...sold from Powell at $60 a pop, turned up online for $150-500.

IMO, stick with the small companies...By The Sword comes to mind, as does Big Mess and American Nomad. Or, stick with NOS and OG stuff if you can pony up the bucks nowadays.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next