SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  Annoying wheel bite with 215's
Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Annoying wheel bite with 215's

slavadov
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
tricktips wrote:
After comparing the performance of my 215 hybrids -- with great bushing, etc., with the performance of my Randal-180s with longer kingpin and nice bushings, I am retiring my Indys. They get twitchy and wobbly at much lower speeds than a similarly loose Randal.

I love the lowness of the Indys, and if I were really into sliding I might stay with them, but for my particular downhill activities they are not the truck for me.

Actually I might have to try Randals...I've got a half-inch of riser on the board with Indys anyway, so the height is probably comparable.

tricktips
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
2 weeks ago I let a friends 10 year old try out my FSM with Indy hybrids on the very mild hill I skate. He probably got up to about 18mph, and I could already see the trucks wobbling.

Thanks to my great instructions (if you start to wobble, drop your weight!) he stayed on! This is a cool, cool kid.

I'm not criticizing the Indys at all. They are what they are.

If you are running that much riser on your Indy, yeah, go ahead to the R-IIs, for sure.
8ftbed
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Cup and/or change your bushings if you're expecting some speed. The trucks aren't twitching on their own.
Detuning the rear truck will help as well.
Changing to RKP's will shorten your wheelbase. Keep that in mind too.

While there's a scientific explanation, it still strikes me as strange how stable 42* RII's are and you can still carve it up.

Riptide bushings are the shit, if you're so inclined.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
Under 20ish or so, I'd go with Indys anyday. Some guys say that tuned properly, 35 mph is do-able.

I love my Indeesz trucks- basically a CNC'd standard truck ( every other CNC'd truck available is a RKP design) but I haven't taken them up to any serious speeds yet..... hell, I'm still trying to get them dialed in just right with different bushing combinations. But at $99 a pair, they're SO worth checking out if you like 215s.
gogomouse1
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
Anybody know when the new Indy Hybrid baseplates will be available? I had thought about buying the Core bases, but keeping them 100% Indys is a beautiful thing to me. Heck, I've been having trouble finding a replacement Stage II baseplate, I might just get a set of the new Hybrids instead.
8ftbed
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
A "hybrid" Indy plate? What would that be? The main reason Core and ACE plates get used with Indy hangars is because of the ease in replacing the kingpin and being able to use a wide variety of bushings.

A hammer, some balls and solid well placed blow can knock that pressed in kp out of the stock baseplate. Add your grade 8 replacement of the length to fit those cupped double barrels and go bomb a hill.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
8ftbed wrote:
A "hybrid" Indy plate? What would that be? The main reason Core and ACE plates get used with Indy hangars is because of the ease in replacing the kingpin and being able to use a wide variety of bushings.
A hammer, some balls and solid well placed blow can knock that pressed in kp out of the stock baseplate. Add your grade 8 replacement of the length to fit those cupped double barrels and go bomb a hill.

Yeah, I've banged out a few kingpins before (and tried to bang out some axles once)..... but I do wonder- I'm not an engineer or anything, but the stresses from banging out the kingpin can't be good for the integrity of the baseplate- isn't severe impacts the cause of cracked bases? So if I'm going to use a truck for downhill, the last thing I want to do is cause some hairline stress cracks within the metal. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. and the six holes are nice too.
slavadov
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I really love the CORE baseplates on my Indys...I bought the pre-prepped ones from MHS when they had 'em on clearance shortly after this thread was started.

I'm not too worried about stability...I've had the board set up as it is up to 20mph or so, and I don't really plan on going faster than that on this board (I've got other boards for that).

Here's a pic of the board in question:

gogomouse1
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
yeah- older Indys (which even new 215s technically are) work SOOOO much better with double barrels.

Damn. Now you got me wanting a set of 215s.

Anybody want to trade a set of Stage 4 or 5 215s for Stage 2 151s?

The early ones had thicker hangers, or at least the later ones were milled down a bit.
MileHighSkates
Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
gogomouse1 wrote:
Anybody know when the new Indy Hybrid baseplates will be available? I had thought about buying the Core bases, but keeping them 100% Indys is a beautiful thing to me. Heck, I've been having trouble finding a replacement Stage II baseplate, I might just get a set of the new Hybrids instead.

Can someone point me to a pic of, or info on, this "new" Hybrid baseplate by Indy?

Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next