SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  Zak Maytum wins Merryhill Downhill on a slalom rig
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Zak Maytum wins Merryhill Downhill on a slalom rig

yoyo
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Stubbs wrote:
Then I like him even more.

I have attended many races that Zak has attended and have always enjoyed watching him ride and talking with him. And his bushings rule in my Radikals.

... and I ride Venoms in my Freestyle setup
Stubbs
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
What's with all the anti-VENOM (no pun intended) flap??? I've seen it in a few other threads on this site. What gives?

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
I dunno? It's weird. The bushings are okay, not great, but there's worse out there. I think it has more to do with Zack himself.

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
on maryhill you can just ride anything, my 2 cents, a straight out far from technical hill, so n o, i don't feel ashamed at all

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
I dunno? It's weird. The bushings are okay, not great, but there's worse out there. I think it has more to do with Zack himself.

So, who makes the BEST bushings out there Slob?
slavadov
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
yoyo wrote:
slob-air wrote:

I gotta side with Slob on this one. I've been less than impressed by Venoms in every board I've tried 'em on (which is nearly every one I own). I just plain don't like 'em. I've had people tell me that I have a poor technique or bad style, and that I need to modify my skateboarding to fit the Venoms, to which I responded with a big ol' "FUCK THAT!"

Which kinda segues into my beef with Venom, in that they've gathered a huge, blind, cult-like following by hyping up their product WAY too much, and making it almost a fashion statement to own/ride Venoms. I've got a graphic explaining my thoughts, but I don't wanna post it...Might stir up some shit that I really don't want to.

To answer yoyo's question re: the best bushings, the best bushings are the ones that feel best to YOU in YOUR OWN skating and application. Bushings are, to me, the most underestimated part of a skateboard...They can literally make or break how a truck (or board) handles, behaves, and feels. I like JimZ's for downhill, I like Indy Stage 8's for parks and pools, I like Khiros for general cruising, heck, I've got Doh-dohs on my freestyle board (and I usually hate those). Whatever works for you...just don't go telling me that I'm doing it wrong by not liking the "cool" product.

slob-air
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
yoyo wrote:
slob-air wrote:

Perhaps the most subjective question ever asked.

ABEC11 is doing good stuff. Khiro seems to have lost some rebound. Bennetts' urethane bushings are fucking sic if you like it loose, Ace bushing rule it even though they will split after awhile, Prototypes Plus protos are pretty amazing... but the best? SPEED SHOP 60a GREEN DEATH FORMULA!!!

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Ok folks, that's just what I thought.
I still like my old NOS Tracker Stimulators, Bones Hardcore are nice as well. Khiros seem to have no rebound......
tricktips
Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the giant slalom guys at the Sizzler this year blazing down the hill at 40mph+ while pumping hard around cones, it does not surprise me that a slalom guy won Maryhill.

The GS guys are so comfortable not just riding, but manuvering, at high speed.

Rad.
Buck Toff
Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm needlesly resurrecting an old thread here but Zak won Maryhill on a slalom board because it's not a very fast hill (at least by today's standards). I'm told there's no need to brake or even put a hand down in the corners so a short top mount board with a narrow wheelbase has the most grip, allowing the tightest line.

There's a trend right now where some racers are going back to top mounted boards with a shorter wheelbase, (sometimes even mounted with Indy 215s), and it works for very skilled guys like Switzer but whether that will actually benefit a lesser rider or make things worse I have no idea. But IMO it's also becoming somewhat of a cool fashion trend for some.

As for Venom bushings, I haven't ridden them but the guys that do like them for the high rebound.

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next