SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  New to Snowboarding
Page 1 of 1    

New to Snowboarding

tomcurren86
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
Hello Folks,

Is snowboarding much more difficult than skateboarding? I've went skiing before but this year I want to learn how to snowboard.
warlegs13
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
No worries bro! It's exactly the same! Just strap in and shred like a ripper! You might wanna spend the money on a good board though. Like Burton. And make sure all your gear matches and stuff!
Buddha43
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
difficult to learn, but you learn fast. nothing like skateboarding. Best advise, the faster you go the easier it is.
Sticks
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
Just keep your ridden edge on the uphill side of the board, and you will be fine. Catching an edge sucks.

DUDE, but your arms will be aching from holding them up like monkey all day.

You will love it!!!!
DjNedKnowledge
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Alright, it goes like this: when you skate board you position your weight on your back foot and direct your board with your front (like a tic tack). But, with snowboarding you position your weight on your front foot and direct with your back foot; swinging it gradually from toe edge to heel edge getting yourself from A 2 B as well as coming to a stop (which is a lot like a power slide). Catching an edge sucks, but when you figure it out it can be a lot of fun

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Also, proper apparel is a must. Dont go cheap on snow pants. You dont want to be soaked, it can for a miserable time. Theres some cheap waterproofing spray like nik wax but theres also a wal mart version thats way cheaper than what your gonna find at the ski shop or mtn. If your on the east coast good goggles is a must. The snow guns can shoot straight on to your lens and be a real bitch to get off causing zero visibility, a cheap alternative since its a rather pricey intial investment would be rain-x. I recommend a pair of comfy pair sweats as an underlayer and 1 pair of socks not two! Get a snug boot as its going to be strapped tight to your heel to position yourself deep into the high back. Also, bigger boots can cause toe drag which is a real damper if your stuck with your purchase. If you have bigger than a size 11 get a wide board to help eliminate toe drag. The board should fit between your the beginning of your neck and the bottom of your nose. The longer the board the faster you'll go in what is called "cat tracks" long periods of the hill that are relatively flat causing you to unstrap and have to "skate" to the downhill section.

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Lastly dont get a board with a lot of wax on it at first. It will make you go faster and before you learn control you can head straight into what is known as the "fall line" i.e. the natural downhill of the slope which can lead straight into trees, families, water hoses, or any obstacle your gonna want to avoid. A way to insure a slower board in the learning stages is to wipe down the base (or bottom of the board) with a citrus cleaner. Hope this wasn't to verbose, I've worked in several board shops and taught lessons on mountains and this is the advice i gave my customers just to be real with them and also job security . Have fun, and remember the phrase "pow pow gnar gnar bro bra" as it is essential the snowboard mentality

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Awesome advice, thanks fellas. I think I will start looking for a snowboard soon

Page 1 of 1