SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  How to succeed in business?
Page 1 of 1    

How to succeed in business?

mhornquist
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering what smaller skate shop owners think it takes to stay alive and/or thrive in the current economic climate.

It seems like selling low end stuff- blank decks, cheap trucks, wheels + clothes and shoes would be the way to go, at least in the beginning.

How can one compete with the internet and Zumiez in the local mall?

I have a pipe dream of owning a shop/park, but need a lot more confidence before I dive in.

Thanks,
MH
GrandMasterB
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL

http://overkillskateboards.bigcartel.com

http://eclipsehardware.bigcartel.com/

http://bigwinnerwax.bigcartel.com
MMS
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15097 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
It's my understanding that the SUCCESSFUL brick & mortar/mom & pop shops are HEAVILY involved in the local scene. You can't compete dollar for dollar with mall shops/net dealers...you gotta give the people something they can't get at those places.

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
What economic climate, crisis, what crisis?? FUCK BLANKS CHEAP Trucks Whee Whatever!

Fuck the Race to the Bottom! Think outside the box!

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Clothes...lots and lots of clothes. Mainstream skateboarding is about fashion, not skateboarding. So, it's your job to keep the "bros" dressed in their favorite clothing. As much as I despise the word "lifestyle," that's what most skateshops I've been in are all about.

Now, as far as hardgoods go, pick up a Transworld and carry the brands in there. Kickflippers LOVE that shit.

Don't forget to carry a handful of Sector9 complete longboards and one or two Powell-Peralta reissues.

Finally, study the local skate scene and find out how to fit into it. If local kids REALLY love one particular brand, carry it. If kids love tiny boards, carry 'em...Conversely, if kids love larger boards, carry those. Think of yourself as a guest in the local scene. Unless there is no local scene, then you gotta create one.

MMS
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15097 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
Don't know if it's still the same way, but I've talked to shop owners that have said Sector 9's sales reps won't sell to you if you carry any other LB brands. That was pre-Quicksilver days though.

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips. I've been out of the scene for so long...I'm still trying to understand what's going on.

I visited the two local shops in town: one was a bike shop with some boards in the back. The other was a boutique type shop with the elite tre chic skate clothes and shoes (HUF, Elwood, Fourstar etc) and a limited supply of boards and access.

Zumiez is all about clothes + Shoes too. The boards are basically an afterthought in back of the store.

I guess I'd like to open a place for kids to come & skate and buy stuff if they need it. I imagine I could make more money selling energy drinks and powerbars than anything else.

Clothes would be cool, but I don't want to be a skate fashionista. I guess I'm leaning more toward a small indoor park/shop. Real skaters and kids who wanna learn. No f'ing posers!
slavadov
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Grumpy Ol' Bastard wrote:
Don't know if it's still the same way, but I've talked to shop owners that have said Sector 9's sales reps won't sell to you if you carry any other LB brands. That was pre-Quicksilver days though.

Mr.Cokesandsmokes did a write-up about that and couldn't find any concrete evidence...IIRC, the conclusion was that it wasn't anything that s9 was doing, but the independent distributors that would do shit like that. Plus, all the shops that I can think of that sell s9 also sell other brands, and have been since before Quicksilver. Actually, one shop buys the decks from s9, puts their own trucks and wheels on them, and sells them at s9's MSRP.

Page 1 of 1