SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  Burned on screening
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Burned on screening

dsb-1
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Finished my last box of tees yesterday for the small shop I've been working for, for the past year. Dude is closing the printshop. He owns a retail skate/surf shop and has an indoor park as well. About a year and a half ago I ran into the owner at a contest that was at his park and we were talking. He asked me what I did for a living and I told him I was a screen printer but the shop I worked at had just closed it's doors because of the bad economy blues. He lit up and said " You know how to print shirts ". I told him I'd been doing it for 16 years. He then told me that he had bought a small shop set up, with a 4 color 1 station press and a flash dryer, small exposure unit and some supplies. He said it had been sitting there for a year because no one knew how to set it up and run it. Seemed like the perfect situation for us both.We discussed setting up the shop in the back of the skate park where there was a nice size storage area. He said he would give me $10 an hour to print shirts for his shop with his designs and logos, etc. and that I could use the equip. to print any jobs I wanted to make extra money in exchange for doing all of his stuff for only $10 an hour.. Sounded fair to me, but I told him we needed to buy a small conveyor dryer to get anything done in a timely manner and actually make a little money. He promised to do so ASAP! meanwhile I started printing box after box after box for dudes store. Tee's, Hoodies, Bags, Kids apparel, all kinds of shit. With a flash dryer only and most of the shirts being black with white ink, front/back and sleeve prints. Anyhow, to make a long story short. His entire store is stocked with printed apparel and he seriously has enough stuff to last for a couple of years stashed away in storage. Now he says he doesn't want to spend the money on a dryer because of the economy being bad, so he's closing up shop after jiving me around and getting his entire store stocked for over a year and beyond with shirts and things I printed for far less than I would have, had I known he just wanted me to print all his stuff for cheap and then get outta the game. I've had this type shit happen before and I'm thinkin of giving up screenprinting for good. People never pay you what you deserve anyway, even if you have enough experience to run the entire shop by yourself. May be looking for a career change! Burned on screening!
hank1113
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
that sucks... can you get the equipment off him and do your own thing?

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! He's trying to sell the equipment to me. But I really don't feel like giving him any money at all right now. Plus I would need a place to put it and money for a dryer and supplies. All of which I'm not sure I can afford right now. The economy is in a real bind and I'm not sure I could pull it off in this economic enviroment coupled with my present locale( eastern NC ). It's getting harder and harder to make money doing things you like around here.
kirb-slider
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
fuck it, buy his equipment at a price that makes you happy and put out some quality prints on your own.

hell, even put that stuff in storage for a bit or even rent a storage unit and open shop at night out of there.

and don't worry if you cured his shirts with just a flash unit, that shit will wash out soon enough and no one will buy any of his prints once the words out...

~nostalgia is the wave of the future~
snakesession
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Nov 2001 Posts: 1241 Location: Greenville, South Carolina
That sucks DSB. Sounds like you got burned by another sleezy shop/park owner. Not printing. If you enjoy the art/work/etc of screen printing hope you can continue.

Being your own boss may be the way to go.
dsb-1
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
kirb-slider wrote:
fuck it, buy his equipment at a price that makes you happy and put out some quality prints on your own.

hell, even put that stuff in storage for a bit or even rent a storage unit and open shop at night out of there.

and don't worry if you cured his shirts with just a flash unit, that shit will wash out soon enough and no one will buy any of his prints once the words out...

I told that fool over and over that his shirts were not fully cured and he said "feels dry to me" . That is the entire reason I didn't take any orders to do any jobs on my own because I wanted a dryer first! So I wouldn't be putting out shitty prints that washed off and faded really bad/fast with my name attached to them. Matter of fact, I told him not to mention my name when discussing who did his shirts that were in his store! As far as putting the stuff in storage or getting a storage building to use at night might be the way to go. I do love to screen print, but I don't wanna work at any more shops. Especially if they are owned by some kook that has never pulled a squeegee and doesn't know the first thing about art!
BlockheadSam
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Was the owner of the shop Malcolm Mclaren? Oh, wait he's dead.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
dsb~ go get your equipment and grab storage unit for like 60-70 bucks a month. get some orders, run a couple extension cords and get to work. you can burn your screens in the sun light, wash them out at the car wash, output your films at kinkos, and run your prints in the storage unit on the weekends and at night. just don't mention to the owners you are running a business, make it appear to be a hobby or artsy thing you are doing.
that should work until you can work up some extra cash to grow on.

most owners are kooks and you will be one to the kid you hire to pull your squeegees one day.

just be honest and don't rip or fuck people over, put out good prints and you could make it happen.

~nostalgia is the wave of the future~
dsb-1
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the encouragement rich. I do believe I can do it and just may decide to do so. I'm gunna check on some storage units this weekend and think the whole thing over. Thanks for the input fellas!
toilettowncom
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
instead of a dryer, cant you actually dry the shirts in a clothes dryer and that will cure them just as good?

facebook.com/wizardskull <-- Tee's & Art on Facebook

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next