SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  Another newby from Australia..
Page 1 of 5    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Another newby from Australia..

twerp
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Apr 2010 Posts: 57 Location: Perth, Western Australia
Hi there everyone

I'm an old bloke (32) from Australia.. started skateboarding in the mid 80's and have kept going to some extent through to now.. 25 odd years..

My first skateboard was some plastic thing - I still have 2 of them in the shed somewhere.. then my first 'RAD' board was some mid-price 'UFOS' board which was a mini size almost like a freestyle board and it was fluro pink top and bottom with giant fat soft pink wheels HAHA. it just had the word 'UFOS' in blue (rad-style brushwork font) and 'Australia skateboards' underneath.

Finally in about 1986, my parents took me to the city to a 'real' skate shop and I had wanted a Vision psycho stick for ages.. I had the deck pulled down off the wall (in natural) and on the counter with a set of fluro yellow or orange gullwings, some bones bearings, 2 cell blocks, and a set of bullet 66/97's ready to go. My dad then said 'hey what are these ones?' pointing to the rack of completes.. for some unknown reason I picked up a blue-stain Alva Murf with Tracker six-tracks, NMB Bearings, and a set of blue Cockroach (Australian) wheels.. I fell in lust with the graphics and said 'that's the one'.

my birthday finally came around and I got the murf into action and skated it for a number of years before in about 1989 I decided to re-shape it like the new-school, scoop-nose boards. Even though I thin I did a good job reshaping it for a kid, to this day I regret ruining the bad-ass pokey Alvah shape. heres a photo anyway:

I had a new-school 'slick-bottom' board which I snapped.. then I got a Girl Rick howard model (pics to come) before my current 'new school' sk8.. it's a powell blank that I slapped a 'Winfield' decal on that I scored from a WRC Rally Car team LOL:

One of my best friends from high-school (Koa) was originally from california and his dad was apparently mates with Jim Phillips in the 80's. His familly had a heap of Santa Cruz boards around their house and when he moved back to the states, he gave me his old complete - a Rob Roskopp. Unfortunately it had been left in the rain and is too warped to ride, but I love the shape and the Jim Phillips artwork anyway:

He also had a mint Street Creep that had trucks bolted to it allthough it did have old-school grip tape applied. Apparently it was a factory second as the screen on the SC logo on the underside is slightly out of alignment however the main graphic appears to be perfect. Over the years of being carted around from house to house it has picked up a few minor scratches but I'd still consider it near-mint condition:

After recently 'discovering' the re-issues and collector scene, I've been bitten by the bug and set about starting a collection. Now I cant go an hour without checking eBay for old skated completes ,re-issues and now I have a new word comming out my mouth - NOS..

Picked up this Silver Caballero Re-Issue. I know the hard-core collectors shun the re-issues, but i alwasy wanted a powell and now I finally have one HAHA.

The plan was to build it up and skate it.. but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to re-drill old-school truck holes andhit the pavement but Ihunted down a set of NOS Gullwings (pictured next to my25 year old, well-grinded Trackers) and got a set of Bones bearings and hardware ready to go once I decide on a set of wheels.

I think i'll get a Vision Psycho Stick Re-Issue and slap on the Gullwings and re-live my 1986 sk8 fantasy and keep the Caballero on the wall.

Anyway I've ranted on enough.. I hope my tiny little collection isnt too pathetic, but I hope to expand it as funds allow.

Thanks for the great forum..

- Bede

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
twerp wrote:

I'm an old bloke (32)

You're not old round here.

Welcome aboard
twerp
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
this site is getting better all the time then

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2527 Location: beyond the ether!
Hey Bede,

welcome aboard. Perth, hey? Whereabouts?

Do you remember a shop called Westwinds?

Cheers,

ntots

Mint/NOS
Red Powell Peralta
Roundnose XT Tommy Guerrero
beerminda
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Mar 2007 Posts: 921 Location: RADELAIDE SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Hi from Radelaide..
twerp
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
never-too-old-to-skate wrote:
Hey Bede,

welcome aboard. Perth, hey? Whereabouts?

Do you remember a shop called Westwinds?

I'm in Jolimont - near Subiaco

Westwinds ? nah i dont think so - I grew up in Busselton (south west) so my local shop was 'the Labrynth' sk8 park in Bunbury (That place was amazing).. Ken Vidler's Surf'n'Sports in Freo, 'The Snake Pit'.. um.. the Surf Boardroom in Scarborough.. That's about all I can remember from the 80's LOL. been having lots of flashbacks of old sk8 shops lately since getting into all this old-school collecting etc. Dug out my old sk8 magazines and had a 'speedwheelz' magazine which was an Australian publication and a 'Skatin' Life' magazine also.. it has adverts for a lot of the local sk8 shops back in the day.

beerminda wrote:
Hi from Radelaide..

HAHAH RADelaide !! That is funny it actually reminded me of the old school days when i was down ther a few years ago there was loads of skaters around !

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
Go the ockers! I'm back in it about 18 months now after about 18 years off.

My first foray into the real NOS came a few weeks back:

My 14th rider arrived yesterday. There truly is no turning back from this addictive hobby.

Build that reissue and ride it man, OG Dragon and Bats seem to be a dime a dozen so no doubt if you really like that board you'll get a real one

If you want a Psycho Stick reissue for your wall that's fine but don't bother riding any of the Vision re-issues, they ride like wet biscuits.

Join www.charliedontskate.com too and hook up with your local bro's for sessions, if you haven't done that already
Scotty T
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah that Street Creep is pretty fkn awesome too!
twerp
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
ooooh Lucero !! I LOVE Lucero's.. just got a handfull of the 'elephant' LUCERO decals in the post the other day - always been one of my favourite designs - infact all the LUCERO artwork appeals to me !!

it's quite amazing when i've been looking at all the old school designs on boards and decals etc.. that they influenced my graphic design work hugely !! but I never realised till now

yeah you're right about the Re-issues.. they are never going to be worth much compared to an OG.. 14th rider ? man this is a serious disease isnt it !!

I have a couple of expenses coming up - trip to Japan etc.. so after that i'll be devoting a slab of my paycheck to this disease every fortnight

yeah the street creep is an awsome board - always loved the missile 2 concaves since my mate had a Roskopp (Ugly face) back in the day.. I'd love to skate the board but that is never going to happen.. and yeah i am still finding new stuff in the skull graphic - Jim Phillips is not human !

out of interest any idea what that Street Creep might be worth ? not planning to sell.. but would consider trade if something nice came along. being my only near-mint OG board though it'd be hard to part with it - and I have a photo of me when I was 17/18 holding that board so it does have sentimental value HAHA.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2527 Location: beyond the ether!
twerp wrote:
out of interest any idea what that Street Creep might be worth ? not planning to sell.. but would consider trade if something nice came along. being my only near-mint OG board though it'd be hard to part with it - and I have a photo of me when I was 17/18 holding that board so it does have sentimental value HAHA.

whatever you do, don't ever let this go. this deck has history with you and as you wrote, sentimental value. nothing can replace that.

if something nice does come along, work out a deal with the seller. i know i have on a few occasions.

word of advice though, don't ask an artist to do some work then not pay or you'll make most of us have to read 26+ pages of...

again, welcome and let's catch up

Mint/NOS
Red Powell Peralta
Roundnose XT Tommy Guerrero

Page 1 of 5    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next