SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HARDCORE PUNK & SKATE ROCK  »  Bands that you have to be old to "get"
Page 1 of 4    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Bands that you have to be old to "get"

Sticks
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
Sometime when I get tired of the music I have, I take solace in the fact that there is a whole world of shit that I have yet to get into because I am possibly not old enough to dig it yet. You know, the stuff that older dudes and critics are always throwin out there.

Like when some dude on TV or at the bar is all "Oh, blah blah blah, Trout Mask Replica this and Gram Parsons that, helluv John Prine blah blah blah and Alain Toussaint blah blah, plus Townes Van Zandt of course blah blah"

I seriously look forward to being all old and "over it" enough to start digging it all, to the point that I ignore it for now so that I have something to get stoked on later, like saving room for dessert.

People like Billly Bragg or Velvet Underground, The Replacements or Bowie even are ones that I would have ignored as "old dude/critic shit" in my teens, but became really important to me in my 20's and 30's. Just for example.

Anyway, are there any bands or styles that you were all "whatever that shit is for old dudes and critics" but then you got into as you got older?

Last edited by Sticks on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Titletownjeff
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
For me, as someone who always had a keen interest im many types of music....as I got older I really began to appreciate "Songwriters".

I spend more time now absorbing the thoughts of folks like Vic Chesnutt who had more to say, the writing is as or more important than the music
Sticks
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
Case in point.

Thanks Jeff.
BlockheadSam
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Sticks wrote:

John Prine

That's all you need right there my friend.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15097 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
Totally get where you're coming from Sticks.

Musically I'm definitely more into "craftsmanship" than just power.

Oh...and I worry about the weather, but not to the degree that I've bought a rain gauge.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Lately I've been listening to early Rhythm & Blues songs and noting how it had an impact on later Rock artists. Ex: Little Richard - Directly From My Heart To You

The song was recorded with the Johnny Otis Band in 1956. Frank Zappa covered it live several times in 1970, and it ended up on Weasels Ripped My Flesh. Zappa's version was pretty faithful to the original (Don Harris did a good job). In November of 1970, Zappa appeared on Johnny Otis's show on KPPC and played the first side of Chunga's Revenge, along with a bunch of old R&B records. Just something that I found interesting. For those playing at home, 106.7 KPPC was the first "underground" Rock station in the Los Angeles area. It later became KROQ.

Personally though, I was fortunate to have a mom & uncle that encouraged me to go through their record collections. When Bonham died, I told a kid in class and he had no idea what I was talking about. I never really got along with kids my age.

Have you ever prejudged a person based on what they listen to? I know I have in the past. I used to work with this guy that liked Queensryche. After he said that, he always came off as a little gay.
brewharriah
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Oct 2008 Posts: 14880 Location: fuckmylife, warshington
Mark Knopler

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
I listen to a lot of stuff the 'younger' folks might not get. But, I always have. Except country, couldn't stand it until I was in my late 20s. That's just cause I'd never heard the good stuff.

My dad was a professional musician, and there was always jazz and classical on in the house growing up. So, I got the music bug from my dad. Actually, I'm way more of a music nerd than he is. He pretty much sticks to jazz, classical and Brazilian. I like all sorts of shit.
brokenorderband
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
George Jones - Greatest singer of sad songs ever: He Stopped Loving Her Today

Genesis - Early Peter Gabriel stuff...Lamb Lies Down on Broadway!

Bruce Springsteen - Watch his live performance at the Hammersmith from 1975...amazing. Thunder Road or 10th Ave Freeze Out

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15097 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
Husker Du, the Minutemen, Dinosaur Jr., & the Meat Puppets...didn't like them much "then", feel like a retard for it now.

Blues/Roots music love has been growing in me since the 80s. Essential.

Page 1 of 4    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next