SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Anyone ever try consignments?
Page 1 of 1    

Anyone ever try consignments?

brianzig
Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone has ever had any success with consignments and if so, can share some tips or advice. I have had few people ask after the holiday since they got new stuff for Christmas. I've done consignments with vendors, but never with customers and used items. Just wondering if it would be more of a pain than benefit.
oldskoolrulz
Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
when i had a shop i did some consigning with a kid who was trying to do his own deck company. worked out well, i made about the same markup with his decks (local made wood also) as i did with the big companies and was helping both the kid and deck manufacturer. cool thing is the kid would send his buds to me for the decks, and sometimes i'd get another sale (wheels, trucks, t's, etc) also...

the reason i say this was consignment was because i did not pay him until his decks completely sold thru and i was ready for another batch...
MikeSB
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
That is what I do. Typically I send a 45 day invoice, with a disclaimer that if the boards don't sell I will take them back and pay shipping. Kinda consignment, I have had good luck with this. Only one shop ever gave me a hard time, when they finally paid I quit dealing with them.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
Mandatory here.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 04 Nov 2001 Posts: 1241 Location: Greenville, South Carolina
This seems like a good way to get a small label in the door at skate shops. At least for the first few batches to get established. It would indeed help the label and the shop out.
kirb-slider
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
consignments can be difficult to deal with. they both have their ups and downs.

from my side of it and dealing with BIG MESS, i personally, would rather sell the deck and move on, than have a deck sitting in a shop and then having to wonder, keep track of who has what & how many, worry and in the end potentially have to bug the shop owner every other week with, "did it sell? did it sell?"

in my experience, a lot of times, a shop will only want to do consignment because they are scared to invest their money into a product that they do not see selling quickly or even at all for that matter. so therefore, once on the wall in a consignment manner there is no real desperation to push the product to the customer cause there is no money invested.

in most cases, if the shop owner is knowledgeable of his customer base and the products they purchase. and the product is up to quality, professional standards, it will sell itself and the concerned shop owner shouldn't have any issues with investing a little of his shop money into a potential budding local company that he knows is a sure fire sell.

on the plus side, yes, it helps the little guy get his foot in the door and opens up the shop to more potential business for being down with the local scene.

~nostalgia is the wave of the future~
Lincolnz
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
You guys may be reading his question wrong.

Of course as a small label consignment is great.

However, he is asking from the shop owner's side of the counter, is it worth while.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Lincolnz wrote:
You guys may be reading his question wrong.

Of course as a small label consignment is great.

However, he is asking from the shop owner's side of the counter, is it worth while.

i guess if you don't mind the "hey man, did my shit sell?" every other day, then no worries.

~nostalgia is the wave of the future~

Page 1 of 1