SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  Buy or rent for a beginner?
Page 1 of 1    

Buy or rent for a beginner?

polock
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
My son is 5 and really wants to try snowboarding this year. I am thinking it might be time for him to try. He has been skating since 2 and has good balance so it should not be too hard for him to pick up....yeah right.
My question is should I go ahead and get his his own board or just rent one for him until he gets the hang of it? I would hate to buy one and him not like it, but I would also hate spending the money to rent one everytime we go. What have you guys done in the past with the little ones?
eek-wah
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't buy one unless you buy used or something. Even if he picks it up quick and loves it, he's gonna outgrow that thing in a season or two. Just make sure it's tuned up nice, we all know how annoying dull edges are. Hit up a resale shop.
zeno01
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
I watched a lot of used smaller boards sell for cheap on ebay- I ended up picking up a cheaper one in town from Craigslist. With your boy growing up, you probably don't want to sink a whole lot into a smaller set up- as he will out grow it. Good luck!

It might not hurt to rent in when starting. Just to make sure he's into it.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I vote for buy. Especially now - good time to pick up some used, or last years stuff.

I just picked up a complete Burton 110 for my nephew who is 6 for $70 at a ski swap. The thing looks brand new.

Also - the local area here won't give lessons unless you are over 6. AND I don't think they even rent a board that small. Get something too big and he won't be able to turn it.

Personally - I don't trust rented equipment. I used to ski patrol here in michigan and I saw the condition that the rented equipment was in. Checked in and checked-out by minimum wage high school kids that don't care. Serious safety issues.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
yoyo
Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Buy one at a ski/snowboard swap, that's where you can check everything first hand.
Sometimes they sell complete kits with boots for real cheap.
Another great plus is, that it will be HIS equipment!
ebay can be ok too sometimes, but over here shipping costs for bulky packets is very $$
mikebu
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
I have a burton chopper board with burton bindings my son has outgrown along with a couple pairs of boots that have been barely used that would work great for your son. Send me a PM with his shoe size if you are interested. I'm not looking to get top dollar for them...
loveoldschool
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I would rent for the first few times he rides. If he picks it up and wants to keep going, get him his first stick.
polock
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I picked him up some new boots and bindings for $30 from the local shop so now I am looking for a 105 sized board if anyone has one.

Page 1 of 1