SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  the Bear CNC shaper
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

the Bear CNC shaper

waxux
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I have been a member here for a little bit and although I don't post that often I have gotten a great deal form this community over the years.

Lately I have been focusing most my efforts towards small manufacturers. This summer I am very happy to be building and selling custom CNC machines for Snowboard/Ski builders. My goal with this machine is to make something trully affordable that will benefit garage builders and small companies alike not just for the winter sports guys but for us too.

I thought y'all might like to see it so far. I have not yet publised it for retail sale but will be very soon. I hope you like it.....

Mike

I will post more pics when I have them as well as videos of the testing and operation.
slob-air
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Nice work.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'd buy one if I couldn't copy it.
R&D= rip-off and duplicate!
nice work though, can't wait to see the finished product.
marker
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
wow that looks like some clean work. what price range are we talking? Is this going to be in the 2k range?

boss yea I'm sure you could R n d it but imagine all the mistakes you would have to make to get one that works good.
waxux
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
this is slated for less than 4k I am really hoping to get it less than 3k for it to be trully beneficial to any small builders community skate snow or wake.

My philosophy is this; Sell them for materials and labor. That's it.

so far there are 60 hours into this initial unit. as it reaches completion I will be able to stream line the manufacturing and save labor hours. Additionaly I am streamlining the overall design to lower material costs. Had originally intended these to go for 2400.00 but some suppliers went out of biz and materials shot up in the last few months.

I will keep the posts coming as I get them.

Mike.

Oh yeah, Boss! i had the same thoughts about your presses awhile back. Clean work though.

MC
boss
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
waxux wrote:
My philosophy is this; Sell them for materials and labor. That's it.MC

I like that.... J/K about the R&D, nice work too! if I were in the market I'd def consider this one!
marker
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
so that will cut shapes but does it also do height or relief as well. could you cut out a mold?
waxux
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Outfitting the drive system finally after a few do overs....

The Z carriage was reworked after a minor flaw in the original design was discovered. The improved carriage is beefier and has lent a more solid platform to tuck the motors for the Y and Z axies neatly in place.

After the final motor placement it is time to start working the transfer of rotation of the steppers to linear motion in the axies. Both the X and Z axies use timing belts and ratioed pulleys for the tranfer of motion.

The Z is less complex than the X using a single belt and pulley systen at roughly 3:1 ratio (seen in the above pic). X axis is powered by twin racks that will be located on the table rails requiring multiple belts and pulleys as well as a direct drive shaft from the motor to the opposite side of the gantry assembly. Here are a couple of pics of the shaft assembly.

The Y axis is direct drive rack and pinion and powered by the second of the two motors mounted to the carriage. The motor placements are not the original design but were brought on by the reworking of the carriage. Changing the placements while a better look and function meant I had to order all new belts and pulleys for the X and Y drives.

Despite the hic cup I really like the way the motors are now incoorporated into the machine versus being bluntly mounted to it. An added bonus came form the twin mount motors giving the carriage a more balanced travel (once the router is in place).

Tomorrow I should finish up the X drive assembly completing all 3 axies. The vacuum table will be the last of the functional fabrications and most likely the machine itself will do the milling required for it as well as the final decorative coverings for the gantry and Z carriage.

Stay tuned folks.......

MC
Lincolnz
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Unreal!

Nice work!!

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15097 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
Amazing, and completely fascinating.

(If there was a "thumbs up" emoticon I'd put some of them here.)

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next