SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  SHOP
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

SHOP

Devilock
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Nov 2001 Posts: 1141 Location: Long Island, New York
I plan on opening a sk8shop this year. Any good sites with industry info? what are the hot brands?
fallen99angel
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:31 am Reply with quote
*S&B FOUNDER* Joined: 16 Sep 2001 Posts: 631 Location: Denmark
What Ill recommend is to avoid buying your boards and stuff from the big distros, try to get a good relationship with the different companies, that will pay off in the long run.
Henrik
FALLEN99ANGEL
Clay Hutz
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, great forum Henrik. I'm tempted to toss my two cents in.
It is good to have strong business relationships with individual manufacturers, but the drawback to it is you are paying separate shipping costs whenever you order product. You can order multiple product lines from large distributors and pay one shipping fee for each order. For a small upstart shop, those charges can quickly add up. I'd recommend researching different distributors to see which offers most of what you're looking for. Some distros may be very limited in which brands they carry, and some manufacturers don't sell through distributors at all. I'd also advise getting a subscription to an industry publication such as TWS Skate Business. These can be very valuable resources. Above all, talk to skaters in your area to find out what you could offer that other local shops lack. I wish you the best of luck in starting your shop, Devil.
knowskateboarding
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:52 am Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Nov 2001 Posts: 2813 Location: Monster Island(NYC)
I used to have a shop. I think Clay's right. I used Eastern and they've always been pretty good to me. Talk to Hunter, he rules. The only drawback I'd say about distributors is that they don't always have everything you want in stock, where the maufacturer should always have their products in stock. But distributors are good to get multiple company's products at once. And they're usually cool if say some kid comes in and wants a certain board that you don't have and you just placed a big order. They'll let you make a small order. Eastern is in NC so it usually arrives in NY within 2 days tops. As for brands I think most of the groms are into World, Blind, and Baker. Good luck.
fallen99angel
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:02 am Reply with quote
Ill agree that its cheaper for someone to order large from a big dealer distro, however we tried to look into that overhere, but it turns out that the boards was way more expensive, the dealing with the companies straight up. Another funny thing is how different the prices are from company to company. We are cureently ordering from THINK and CONSOLIDATED and CONSOLIDATED are much more expensive than THINK. With the Current prices on boards, its cheaper for us as a shop in Denmark to do a larger 3000$ on boards from USA to Denmark, that way we can sell them 13$ cheaper a board, the price for a pro model here is usually 88$ (not incl grip tape) but we sell the pro model(from USA) for 70$ incl grip tape, so for us its better to deal straigth with the companies than big retailer distros
Henrik
FALLEN99ANGEL
knowskateboarding
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Nov 2001 Posts: 2813 Location: Monster Island(NYC)
$88 dollars a board?! CEEripes man. I guess focusing wasn't too popular in Denmark in the early 90's.
fallen99angel
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:48 pm Reply with quote
yeah go blame the greedy distibutors or maybe the companies, why would CONSOLIDATED promodels coast 35$ retail when THINK is 26$ retail?? would US kids pay 210$ for a complete set up?? I dont think so.
crash and burn - never learn
Henrik FALLEN99ANGEL
woody2001
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Oct 2001 Posts: 266 Location: Garbage Grove, Oregon
i own a small shop and I run through a multi partnered distributor.

I love the ease of oredering from one place, even if it costs 10% on average more for product. I still save the same 10% in shipping.
I use one major distributor and have about 5 other account dealing directly with the manufacturers
I pay$25.00 for a Think "Tag" deck
$35.10 fro pro model Thinks
I pay $35.95 for consolidated pro models
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dolemite
Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 Oct 2001 Posts: 103 Location: Massachusetts (USA)
Devilock,
I run my own graphics and sign company. Let me know if you might need any banners, logo design, signs or vehicle lettering/decal graphics/magnetics and maybe we can barter some goods. Obviously I'd have to ship this stuff to you but I'm always looking to trade with skate currency.
Don't know if you've ever owned your own business but good luck man. The first year especially, it can be tough as hell to get on your feet but it's completely worth it. I don't think I could ever work for anyone ever again. Life is just so goddamn short to deal with the stress of some other asshole's company. Owning my own skate park and shop someday is yet another one of my many dreams.

I seriously hope it works out for ya.
Devilock
Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Nov 2001 Posts: 1141 Location: Long Island, New York
Thanks for all the feedback everyone - I just returned from a surf trip in Costa Rica, it was great.
My partner and I are looking for a space right now. I've been checking Skatebiznews.com There is a company that sells a study of the selling stats of each company.
http://www.board-trac.com/
The study is expensive, 2G's.
I'll be hitting as many parks as I can, doin all the research.
Knowskateboarding - where were your shops? I used to get stuff at Paragon, Dreamwheels and Soho Skates back in the day.
Thanks again everyone.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next