SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Who's still in Business?
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Who's still in Business?

auragreg
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
i had to close up 2 years ago.

my buddy is closing up shop after 4 years at the end of april.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
brianzig
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
auragreg wrote:
i had to close up 2 years ago.

my buddy is closing up shop after 4 years at the end of april.

That sucks. I cringe whenever I hear of another shop closing up. As for us, we are holding on. We made it through Jan and Feb OK. Barely, but still...I'll take it. I hate to see it, but we've been picking up new out of town customers simply because all the shops and park in the town north from us closed. The chain of stores that dominates the area south of us also closed a mall store and cut the hours of their park to just weekends. So I agree with Slob, opportunity will come out of all this if we can just continue to ride it out.

Slob(or anyone for that matter) - any words of wisdom for the shops like us?
brianzig
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
notus wrote:
My shop got an option to take a smaller space in the same location and I jumped on it. I am offering price points and making smaller orders to keep the door open. I still have pro model stuff just not as much of it. Things are tight and when the internet is full of 100.00 completes it's pretty hard to compete unless I do a lot of shopping on my end. I would rather sell a set of Indy raws than colorways. I am leaning more toward what the industry is offering in terms of price points and it looks like skate one and skate season are kicking major butt. The old Bam days are over it's not so much about the rider who's name is on your deck as it is how you ride your deck the way it should be they have Air Jordans for that type of support sorry but that's the way it is. I would rather have my money invested in 10 or 20 decks that I can move fast rather than 10 or 20 decks that guys wish they could afford. I have most of my own personal collection on the wall at the shop not for sale and I get the most feedback on my stuff but talk don't pay the rent a Mini Logo is as good as any other 8" deck and it's not a China blank. Wheels are mostly Spitfires because they move and last until they become bearing condoms without going blanks. Trucks are mostly raw, bearings are at least abec 5 and decks are not from China. I hope this works out so I can keep the hired help, pay the bills and keep supplying the crowd I'm the last shop in town.
O.K. I'm through bashing China how about the latest news from Pyongyang? Kim Jon Ill won his election by 100% this is also the guy who came in at like 38 under par on his first golf game with many hole in ones.

Hey Chip! I hope the move works out well for you. As for us, we are seeing a lot of the same thing...price point, price point, price point. Almost every customer that comes in here is looking for the best deal they can get. Our county has an almost 14% unemployment rate and that doesn't even include those that still have their job, but the plants have been cutting back the hours and shifts. It's tight money wise. The only one seeing much business around here is Wal-Mart. I'd be foolish not to provide them the least expensive quality inventory I can get my hands on. It's what the customer wants right now and I'm in business to sell them what they want. We are currently cutting all the "fluff" from our inventory. Clearing out stuff that has been on the shelf for awhile and going back to basics. Hardgoods, shoes, t-shirts, hats and some accessories. Keeping things light and nimble.
notus
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Feb 2007 Posts: 90 Location: North Augusta South Carolina
Slob what bearings would you recomend most of my customers want either Bones or Rush and I know China Bones is what they are called
MikeSB
Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi, new to this forum. I run Honesty skateboard co. we've been around since October 2005. Any shops on here that would be willing to support a small grass roots board company pm me. Our decks are made in Cali from Canadian Maple. Our art is all hand designed so it takes a while. We have some new designs coming out, hopefully, in the next 2 months. We sponsor a team of 9 right now, I am funing most of this with a day job which sucks.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
honesty!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2