SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  Alva American Band Aid
Page 4 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Alva American Band Aid

Pool-Skater
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Andrew,

Have you built up the Alva yet?

I'm going to order a few more (prolly one for m'self)...
-ZED-
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:00 am Reply with quote
I've got one of those in the plain blue with the red signature on it I want to move, same deck, but the model before that graph.

It's tail seems to be a bit shorter and more squared than the caddy, and if you look you will see it has slight tri-action on the nose and tail.

Sk8Librarian
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:

On 2004-02-17 23:44, Pool-Skater wrote:
Andrew,
Have you built up the Alva yet?

Mark,

Still working on it. I decided to be creative and add a design for the top of the deck involving tiny rainbow reflector/prism stickers behind the "Alva" slash font sticker. So far, it is looking cool but is taking more time than I realized.

When it that is completed, I plan to set it up with the Randal 150/Indy 166 truck combo with wedged riser in the back. I should just go ahead and get some Seismics from you...but I am still undecided. I think I need to test them some more from someone who has them on their deck some more.

Wheels...Shitfires 63.5 or some old Bullet wheels I have. To cap it of, I have some white rails. As soon as I have it done, I will take some pics.

I hope to have it all setup for this Sunday -going to Vans.

Andrew
Pool-Skater
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote
Sounds good.

I'm hoping to start carrying more of the Alva decks. There's some good shapes/sizes in their lineup, and I'm trying to work some better prices so we have have more in stock, etc.

E-mail me about Seismics, Andrew.
Sk8Librarian
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:15 am Reply with quote
I finally set up my Alva Band-aid that I got from Mark at MileHighskates.com and skated it yesterday at Vans. It usually takes me a while to get dialed into a new setup, but not this time. Like a duck takes to water, I took to the Alva band-aid...

From the moment I took that first carve in the small pool, it liked the way it felt under my feet. Very light, very snappish. The shape and concave were just right. Unlike the black caddy Alva, this one is much lighter and less steep in the concave.

Even though it is 9.5 wide, and I tend to like a 10.0 - 10.5 width range, it held my feet in nicely. the 38" length is perfect.

I set it up with a Randal 150 in front, and a wedged Indy 166 with the Bones soft bushings in back. For wheels, I put a set of dyed red Beer City Duane Peters wheels 61/97. Rounding out the patriotic aesthetics are a set of white Big Ugly rails. I will post a pic of it in day or so.

Everyone who took a ride on mine seemed to dig it...either commenting on how light it felt or on how they liked the shape.

Andrew

BillyBonebrake
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:07 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
This board is a skate altering experience. Its getting to the point where I can't ride any other board - in the park, anyway.

Alva got it figgered out on a light, versatile longboard. A good length and not too wide.

My truck setup is basic - a wedge up front on some loose sixtracks.

I've been on & off Randals and think I'm permanently off them for park riding.

Pool-Skater
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:44 am Reply with quote
I tried the Randal-up-front/normal-truck-in-back thing, and it scared the crap outta me. Might work for others, but not fo' me.

Before I switched to Seismics (more on that below), I was using 184mm Tracker Darts. I'd use a wedge riser up front, and a plain/flat one on the back. Bushings were a combination of Stimulators, Bones HardCores, Superballs, or DLX Supercush. If the board/wheel width demanded it, I'd go with Sixtracks, too.

Now, however, I'm totally sold on Seismics. I could always get my conventional trucks to be plenty turny, but once I rode Seismics, I realized how unstable they were by comparison. With the Seismics, I've got a setup that's totally stable in the "neutral" position (i.e., when I'm not turning, dropping in, etc), but when I want to crank a turn, it's totally effortless. On a shorter board, I don't think Seismics would be much of a benefit, as it's already got a quicker turning radius due to the shorter wheelbase. But on longer boards (and that's basically all I ride), they're a godsend.

I'm placing an order for more Alva AAB decks this week, and it looks like I'll have to add one for myself...
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:53 pm Reply with quote
got a chance to ride this deck with randals/indys. nice ride, handles roundwall with ease. i like my zoo lb better, but the bandaid is a fine deck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rich215
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone compare this alva bandaid deck to the Afroman Hustler?

Thanks for any info.

BillyBonebrake
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:52 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
the hustler is shorter - similar boards, though and far as width and nose and tail.

Page 4 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next