SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  What kind of finish is on my board?
Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What kind of finish is on my board?

olivelawn
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:45 pm Reply with quote
@Lard-thanks for the tips. I haven't sanded it down and I haven't put any lacquer on it yet. The only thing I have done is put some red "glaze" on the tail that I got in a little bottle at an art store. Before I put it on, some of the natural wood color showed through on the tail. So you think I need to sand it down again, put on some stain and then lacquer? I think it'll prolly have to sand through the existing lacquer and stain where the cellblock marks are too (I have touched those at all yet). Where'd ohio go? I was hoping for some suggestions from him. BTW, I bought a campbell hausfeld spray gun this weekend. Now I just need a compressor, which I might have a handle on. Should I just relacqer the whole thing? Or only the parts that are obviously dull?
scs
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:08 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Mabe try bringing the deck itself to homedepot, I think they have a 'system' to figure out exactly what color it is? Anyways worth a try and probally your best bet for matching the colors up.
Drunk Engine
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:23 am Reply with quote
@Olivelawn
Iron out your dings. Here is a tip from http://www.bamberglab.com/ts_silly_list.htm

1. Wet the dented area while you heat up a hand iron to its hottest setting. The water soaks into the wood.
2. After a few minutes, iron out the dent. Keep the iron moving, and don't overheat the wood. The heat makes the dent swell back up level with the panel face.
3. Lightly sand the spot after it dries.
4. Note this technique only works on bare wood, i.e. before any kind of finish is applied.

This technique is for cabinets which usually use vaneers just like skateboard decks. My brother has mentioned this technique to me before when talking about getting rid of some dings on my dinning room table. Anyhow good luck.
Lard
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:27 am Reply with quote
I have used it with cabinets also.Just be careful to not use to much moisture or heat you don't want it to reach the glue and cause any delamination.your print looks great.
The story with skateboard veneers is that they are stained under pressure by the veneer companies I don't think any skateboard companies would stain there own .
The veeneer is then seasioned the a moisture content of between 8 and 12% this allows the glue to bond to the the wood fibres under the best conditions. If the wood is any drier it would split and look like crap.
This veneer is used by most companies as the inner veneers and the best grade veneer is used as face veneers on the outside of the board.
Here is what I wuold do faced with your prediciment.
1 Sand the entire surface of the board, make sure all the lacquar is removed.

2 If the cell block marks are still there get a damp facecloth and an iron put it on just below full. Place the facecloth over the marks you want to raise and iron gently.
the marks should raise but maybe not completely.

3 resand you can use quite a light sandpaper after the iron has been used as the wood fibre's swell for a short while afterwards , then when they shrink the sand lines become finer.
4 Give it a light restain. A water based stain will save any problems. make sure this is even. If you have a compressor you should be able to water it down enough to be sprayed. Nice!

5 give it a light coat of clear allow that to dry and give this a light sand,
Spray again with a slightly thicker coat this will bond to the first and help fill any imperfections allow to dry proberly don't rush it.

reprint that stunner
and post the pics.
Lard
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:33 am Reply with quote
ps get a soft sanding block it will make life easy . dont do it with your hands you will make the dents worse.
ohio
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:19 am Reply with quote
yea just sand the board down completely i dont know why this was not done at the begining but o well. i dont know about the iron deal i dont restore boards but give it a try. once its sanded and you got it looking like you want it eaither do your graphics on the bare wood and lacure sand lightly and lacure again or lacure then do youre graphics. i havent thinned my lacure before putting it on yet i am going to in the future because it goes on too thick. anyhow good luck.
olivelawn
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Guys, thank you for all of the help. One major problem with the suggestions. I handpainted almost all of the graphics (except the foot, which I screened), so I cannot and will not sand the whole thing down again. I gotta work with what I have. Really the only part I am not happy with at this point is the cell block marks and the tail. So, let me get this correct. I need to sand the existing original lacquer away from the cellblock and tail area. If after that there is still noticeable dents where the cellblocks were, then I could try the moisture/iron technique. Assuming everything goes well, then I need to restain, sand, and then spray lacquer. Did I get it right? Should I use the nitrocellulos lacqure at any stage?
ohio
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:42 pm Reply with quote
no more advice from me
olivelawn
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:16 pm Reply with quote
@Ohio. Common bro. You've been a big help thus far? Why so quiet all of a sudden. This is a first for me and I want to make sure i don't blow it. Did what I say seem right?
ohio
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:28 pm Reply with quote
dude honestly what the fuck are doing. i thought you were screening the board not hand painting it? there is nothing else i can say you have to trial and error and see what works. If It was mine i would have sanded the entire board down to bare wood so in youre case red wood. then i would have silk screened image on the board and lacured it with what i told you. thats all i can say.
I dont mean to be mean by a long shot but what else is there that i havent told you? I am retarded anyhow

Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next