SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  VALUE OF A SPECIFIC SKATEBOARD  »  genuinely surprised by this
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

genuinely surprised by this

disposablethebook.com
Posted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:19 pm Reply with quote
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tegory=16263&rd=1

especially when a gabriel rodriguez "gremlin" fetches more than this OG blind kids deck. slipped through the cracks?
Conscience
Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:18 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Sep 2001 Posts: 1239 Location: Brew City, Wiscompton
I think I was more surprised by the Gab. That was going way over what I would expect. I peg the Blind kids for around $500 give or take. I sat there watching it end and really wanted to bid on it as I really want one of those decks for the collection, but I had a moment of clarity and stepped off.(amazing considering I had already started drinking which usually leads me into a bunch of dumb purchases We shouldn't be dropping that much cash on these boards, there are other things in life. That fact that we don't even blink an eye at boards going that high is nuts. I'd rather have a Jerkin' Jordan or Rear End Rudy anyways.
www.theskateboardmuseum.c
Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:48 am Reply with quote
jesse,
well put.That gabriel and some of those other world/101/plan b decks just went for way too much. I cant see how people will get that much money for them if they decide to sell.But who knows,i wouldnt be shocked if this hobby just keeps growing growing.

I cant get myself to spend any money on decks lately.Its just laughable at this point.Prices are fluctuating like crazy.

Im really thankfull i have what i have.Because i cant afford to collect anymore. Im getting better at trading though. It doesnt hurt as much when i let something go. Jesse how many decks do you have? My girlfreind and her mom counted 408. Thats not including stuff from over 1997. Its fuckin ridiculous.I feel like one of those freak collectors on the t.v.

[ This Message was edited by: www.theskateboardmuseum.com on 2003-05-10 12:51 ]
disposablethebook.com
Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:23 pm Reply with quote
nah, i hear what you're both saying. i guess my surprise stemmed from the "lack of lunacy" on this specific deck given the recent craze, i.e. the gabriel gremlin. the blind kids decks are a classic series from a ridiculous time period not likely to be seen again. the rear-end rudy is, by far, the best in the series...one of those boards that i still have a genuinely hard time believing was ever a graphic, but i'm glad it was.

edit: WHAT?!?!? nick getting better at trading? ha ha ha... (just kidding, nick).

believe me, i'd love to see these values come back down to realistic levels. i don't regret any i've purchased for silly to downright stupid amounts, but i'd love to pick others up for a great deal less in the future. difficult to say how that will pan out should more and more collectors enter the fray...

[ This Message was edited by: kickerofelves on 2003-05-10 15:26 ]
olivelawn
Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I think that the fubk decks are cool, and the time period during which they debuted are right up my alley, but for me not bidding came down to me not being psyched about hanging it up. I find I am less into collecting for historical significance than the like-ability of the rider, their style, whether they did the graphics or not, and whether or not I actually set one up.

Nick if you're getting better at trading, let the cross country shipments begin!
Hammerhead
Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Oct 2001 Posts: 6889 Location: Occupying Aztlan since 1963
Sorry, but I don't feel the price of certain decks is going to come down.

I figure it takes a couple of years to figure out what boards are really collectible to an individual.

I used to own 70+ boards. Im down to 14 boards with about 5 to go, then Im done for good.

Im really collecting them for my kids. My dad used to be into stuff like builing those big model airplanes and flying them. I'd give my left nut to have a couple of them hanging on the wall.

Additionally, I think that vintage skateboards have entered into the realm of classic American Pop Art. I look at my wall as an art collection more than anything. And have the boards arranged so that they present a cohesive motiff. Gay I know.

I collect in only two catagories, Santa Cruz mid/late 80s (Phillips prime era) and Graphic+Rarity (together). I couldn't care less who the rider was.

[ This Message was edited by: Hammerhead on 2003-05-10 21:45 ]
disposablethebook.com
Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:46 am Reply with quote
@olive-- good points all around. luckily we don't all want the same damn decks, otherwise there'd be more fistfights over things like woof decks every week. ha ha... guess i'm more of a graphics hound myself and unfortunately a broad selection appeal to me--worse yet, all the expensive ones.

@hammer-- agreed. these stupid things will be worth more in the future. why else would leonardo dicaprio be collecting them? i don't 'member seeing him at any of the skate spots back in the day...
seth c
Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:48 am Reply with quote
he collects?
olivelawn
Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:22 am Reply with quote
@kicker. yeah, I don't want to underestimate the value of a particular graphic. Although I've been known to be into some ugly stuff, the graphic from a "beauty" standpoint is a big consideration. The woof cat, since you mentioned it, sums up my interests. Its not the easiest graphic to look at by a long shot, but it is a graphic done by the rider, and is done by someone who i've always respected. Plus Useless was prolly the most influencial video I gandered as a youngun.

[ This Message was edited by: olivelawn on 2003-05-11 03:28 ]
ukoldschool
Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 4:41 pm Reply with quote
fuck - I agree with hammer.....

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next