SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  help me buy a set-up.....................
Page 1 of 4    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

help me buy a set-up.....................

ultraphage
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I've never really even ridden a longboard, but I think I am going to get one to bomb some hills with some longboarders around here.

My initial feeling is to get a "longer" board that is still pretty much like a regular deck. I am really more interested and feel like I would be most comfortable on something with a kick-tail to it than a flat deck. I know I won't really be using the tail, but it's in my mind that way for some reason?

COuld I get a 38" deck and randall trucks and big softies and call it a longboard? Would this even give me the true long boarding experience?

So, I am a pretty big guy if that matters. I can buy pretty much whatever. I would like some insight from those in "the know". What would be a good started set-up. Something I could ride with guys who do nothing but longboard (if that matters).

Thanks
Jason
slob-air
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63461 Location: S&B HQ
ultraphage wrote:

COuld I get a 38" deck and randall trucks and big softies and call it a longboard? Would this even give me the true long boarding experience?

Yes.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I picked up one of these, http://www.skullandbonesskateboards.c...opic.php?t=63238, and I am enjoying it. It has wedged Indy 169's along with some SPF 62 wheels, I have some Rainskates 65mm 85's in transit to me.

I also have a Landyachtz Wedge Flex with Randall's and Abec11 Gumballs.

These boards are totally different. If you just want to cruise down hills and carve turns I would recommend something like the landyachtz. If you want to hit parks as well then the kicktail board is what you want.
Buckethead
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I have a BDS 38 special with Indys and Manx wheels. It bombs hills just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PlayGod
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Get with those guys who do nothing but longboard and try out some of their setups. You'll find something you like, and then you can spend the $$.

There are so many more potential different setups in longboarding than there are in street or bowl boards, it's almost impossible to prescribe a first complete.

I have trimmed my longboard quiver down to these:

The G&S is very fun. It's as low or lower than most "drop" longboards, and it has developed some rocker due to the flex, so it bombs with no wobbles. It carves like mad with no wheel bite, and it has a huge and functional kicktail.

You can still find 8-ply maple decks in that same style, and they are relatively cheap. I did the cutouts to mimic the Gravity Ed Economy, which is too big and heavy for my taste.
The Green Monkey
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
PlayGod wrote:
Get with those guys who do nothing but longboard and try out some of their setups. You'll find something you like, and then you can spend the $$.

There are so many more potential different setups in longboarding than there are in street or bowl boards, it's almost impossible to prescribe a first complete.

Yes.

Mile High Mark can also likely help you.

My longboards:

Sliding/Cruising & Carving/Bombing & Carving/Meh--haven't got it dialed in yet despite several reconfigurations

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:44 am Reply with quote
Here's a sweet deal.
http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog...;products_id=1092

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote

Buckethead
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
PlayGod wrote:

I have trimmed my longboard quiver down to these:

The G&S is very fun. It's as low or lower than most "drop" longboards, and it has developed some rocker due to the flex, so it bombs with no wobbles. It carves like mad with no wheel bite, and it has a huge and functional kicktail.

You can still find 8-ply maple decks in that same style, and they are relatively cheap. I did the cutouts to mimic the Gravity Ed Economy, which is too big and heavy for my taste.

Did you make those cut outs on your G&S?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PlayGod
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
Buckethead wrote:
Did you make those cut outs on your G&S?

Yeah. They are perfect with 9"-10" size trucks like those T-birds, Randals, Sixtracks, 184's etc.

The circle template was a blast ring from a model rocket launcher, and I just aligned/centered it on the inside truck holes. Cut with a jigsaw and filed/sanded smooth.

Page 1 of 4    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next