SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Would a skateshop like this fly?
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Would a skateshop like this fly?

DomitianX
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:45 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
The other posts pretty much covered the main points. The one thing I would add is dont go into it expecting to make *any* money. You will probably break even, but if you are not trying to live on the profits and support yourself, then you should be fine.

The one downside I see is trying to get some cred for being a skateshop. If you are sharing space with someone else, you may be known for "that place that also sells a few skate things". Its not a bad thing, but if you dont carry the right items and are not out skating with the locals and being part of the scene, you might not get that strong following right away. You will boost your cred big time if you are out skating the local park with the locals.

Be sure to be cool to everyone that comes in. Think about shop decks, shop shirts and other price point items with good margins. Shoes is where the bread is at but the "good" shoes are tough to get right away, especially in shared space.

Get out of the shared space as soon as you can afford it. It will be very tough to be considered a core shop if you share space with a thrift store or something.

DomitianX
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, and just go for it.

Opening our first retail shop was pretty stressful. I had some really cool kids in town that volunteered to help out so I didnt need to be down there every single day. We made no money for a long time, then we started to get a steady bunch of customers, people drove from 20 miles away or so and it paid the rent, etc.

Now that we built the indoor skatepark, I have lost all my hair, I am a nervous wreck, I get no sleep, jump and screech like a girl and any sudden noise and my fingernails are falling off. But I love it! We are paying the rent and the wages and keep the inventory stocked. Cant ask for much more than that when its sunny and 75 degrees outside.

Go for it. It doesnt sound like you are going to invest a huge chunk of change and you will have little overhead. If it doesnt take off sell the crap on eBay for what you paid for it and cut your losses. At least you can say you gave it a go.

fraidie
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:37 am Reply with quote
Just read this thread and was wondering if you got it up and running and how it is going!

Guy90
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I second that, I was just looking through and its been interesting to read the input, specially from the skaters who are experienced in this field.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2