SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Dew/moisture forming on skatelite in the evenings
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Dew/moisture forming on skatelite in the evenings

simshardcore
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Oct 2005 Posts: 6816 Location: Virginia Beach still has no waves!
We get dew on our ramp almost every morning...it's dried by the time anyone skates it. If not...wipe it down.

fourandahalf
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Rob_B wrote:
The dew/moisture is coming up through the layers, not from above.

we've had the same exact problem here at Picollo in ft. lauderdale. i had never seen this before. in the late evening just after the sun went down and the temperature started to drop moisture was coming UP from the layers. the ramp didn't even feel wet to the touch, but it was slippery as hell!

i'm chalking it up the the weird low temps combined with high hunidity that we've been having lately. i don't know if that's the right answer, but i did say to my friend "why the hell are we dealing with moisture issues in december?!".

your not crazy rob! we've had the same thing down here.
Ripperen
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quote
Had the exact same problem on my miniramp. As the sun set, moist or dew in getting through the layers. It doesn't feel wet at all, when you touch it, but you can see the skate-lite getting darker. It sure is slippery as hell.
I finished building my house in July, and I had a lots of wind-paper left ( some tar like paper - almost the same as roofing-paper). We took off the first layer (the skate-lite), and placed the paper between the two layers. It is working like a charm, and now we are sessioning the mini till way past midnight without any fucking moist at all.
So Rob - guess you figured it yourself. The tar-paper-trick is what you need.

Merry x-mas and happy skating.
Rob_B
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:23 am Reply with quote
Nice to see I'm not going crazy.

Wonder if it's the freak weather then. Who knows.

Guess it's time for tar paper.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Try covering the ground under the ramp with poly (plastic sheeting) It is the same plastic used under houses in the crawl space.
The moisture may be coming up from the ground into the sub layers.
dhorne
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Posts: 1266 Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
It's gotta be condensation if your ramp is off the ground (and anyway, the moisture could never soak through that much surface). You have the humidity, when it gets cooler at night the ramp gets cool and the moisture in the air condenses on the surface. It happens up here (Canada) all of the time ... like every month outside of July and August we can't skate my ramp after dark. Concrete at the park can get it too, but generally the ground below it keeps it from cooling down quickly so the condensation doesn't happen.

... took my biggest slam ever on a slick ramp ... just plowed knee-first into the bottom of the ramp when my back wheels came right out from under me. My knee was numb for nearly a year ...

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2