SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  moisture content
Page 1 of 1    

moisture content

shawn
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
my shop is located in upstate new york.as a result of the cold air the heat is then cranked up,this causing extremely dry air.unfortunatly i have no control over the thermostat.i've since expierienced some cracking in the veneer during the initial pressing. might a humidifier do the trick? if anyone has any suggestions as to how i could resolve this it would be much appreciated .
Herosk8
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
As a heating and air guy, I would get a humidifier to get moisture in the air. What kind of heat do you have?

Josh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
popemarcus101
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
where is your shop? just out of curiosity, i'm in upstate ny too
boss
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:49 am Reply with quote
definately a humidifier, when I'm dealing with our scorching summers (no ac in the shop) I'll let the glued veneers sit in the mold with little pressure for 5-10 minutes to let the glue "soak". Also you can use a spray bottle to lightly damped the outside of the top and bottom layers, but this causes the grain to raise a bit, then you have some extra sanding to do....my 2 cents. good luck.

It sucks to pull out a blank only to discover a crack.....
shawn
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote
my shop is located in rochester ny and the heat in the ware house is steam through radiators. thanks for the help. looks like i'll be getting a humidifier tommorow!
boss
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
oh yea, another solution: which ever side is cracking, try putting a single veneer sheet between the mold and the board, the single sheet will crack instead of the board...most times.
Herosk8
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
with steam radiators on the floor you can always take old pots or tea kettles and fill them with water and set them on top of the radiators. the heat from the radiators will heat up the water like a humidifier. thats a cheap way of doing it. you can even do that with a wood stove to add moisture to the air.

josh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
popemarcus101
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
what shop do you own?
I live in geneva, about an hour away from rochester and i'm there at least once a week to see my girlfriend who lives there.

Page 1 of 1