SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Now that you're open ... what would you have done different?
Page 1 of 1    

Now that you're open ... what would you have done different?

auragreg
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I've been open for 3 years this October. And was just thinking back on what I would do different if I could change the past.

1. Invested in shoes. I underestimated their importance and the significant amounts of money needed to break into the shoe arena.

2. Don't sell wakeboards. There are a lot of lakes in the area, but I can't compete with the boat stores. Plus, I have never seen a more cut throat industry where reps will sell direct to customers AROUND the dealers.

3. Sell "blank" decks. Yes. I said it. Except I put my own artwork on them. Gives me a outlet for my artistic abilities.

4. Keep the number of snowboard brands to a minimum. I actually am doing a pretty good job of this. Selling "fringe" brands that are coming up.

5. Don't share a space with a computer gaming store. It saved me $$, but hurt my reputation. I thought it would bring kids in ... but the groups are too different. The computer guys ended up moving out anyway. Long story.

6. Don't sponsor anyone under 15.

7. Don't make a anonymous message board. You just end up getting sucked into the negativity of crappy little kids and their internet-courage.

feel free to add your own lessons learned.....

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
brianzig
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
Words of wisdom. Auragreg and I seem to share the same life. New shops should look at this and take what you want from it.

1. Invested in shoes. I underestimated their importance and the significant amounts of money needed to break into the shoe arena.

I agree 100%. Shoes, whether most want to believe it or not, are the bread and butter of the retail skate shop. And yes, it is extremely expensive to get a foot in the door and maintain. But the kids go where the shoes are nowadays.

2. Don't sell wakeboards. There are a lot of lakes in the area, but I can't compete with the boat stores. Plus, I have never seen a more cut throat industry where reps will sell direct to customers AROUND the dealers.

IE...don't mix industries. Stay specific and hone in on one area. Do it well. It also waters down your inventory if you don't have a ton of capital. A little of this, a little of that.

3. Sell "blank" decks. Yes. I said it. Except I put my own artwork on them. Gives me a outlet for my artistic abilities.

Yep. To the bane of most around here, the reality is that they are here to stay. If you don't have them, they will find them. Kids want them. Parents want them. If you don't have them, you are missing a sale. Potentially lots of sales since they also get grip, wheels, trucks, hardware and ect to go with it. But, BUT, don't let them overpower your pro deck sales. We actually display ours (blanks with our shop name on them) in a new steel trash can in the corner. We have them, but they aren't displayed on the wall with the company boards.

4. Keep the number of snowboard brands to a minimum. I actually am doing a pretty good job of this. Selling "fringe" brands that are coming up.

Again, focus. I'm in the south so no snowboards for us. But, other markets could benefit from selling both. It's a gray area. It's expensive and capital might be better spent on shoes.

5. Don't share a space with a computer gaming store. It saved me $$, but hurt my reputation. I thought it would bring kids in ... but the groups are too different. The computer guys ended up moving out anyway. Long story.

The three L's. Location, location, location.

6. Don't sponsor anyone under 15.

Oooh, I might have to differ on this one. While in general it is a good idea. No make that a great idea. I have a 13 on the team that is killing and not a afraid to enter contests or throw down. Good kid with a supportive family (they plan vacations around good skateparks). He is not the norm though and I would say go for the older kids. They will be able to handle the responsibilities and uphold your image better than Jr. High kids will.

7. Don't make a anonymous message board. You just end up getting sucked into the negativity of crappy little kids and their internet-courage.

Kids and the internet can be a pain in the ass. Yeah, make em register to use the message boards. Definitely.

And speaking of message boards, make sure to get your web presence started ASAP. Even if it's just a Myspace page to start. But definitely make it part of your plan to get a website going ASAP. We actually had the .com site and Myspace page up and running 6 months before we opened the doors.

One more tidbit...If you are really serious about getting a foot in the door, make sure to attend a trade show. ASR, Surf Expo, ect. You will meet and talk with people that you will never reach by phone. Well worth the money and time it takes. I put off on going at first because I didn't want to put out the cash.

Last edited by brianzig on Thu May 10, 2007 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
brianzig
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, and one thing I might have done different....

Buying up a bunch of completes from our distributor during Christmas. It's actually cheaper to put them together ourselves.
derekblankporritt
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
invest in the enviroment of the shop, renovations and initial appeal are just as important as what brands you carry.

*plus once you are open it's a real bitch to get any work done in the space.

*better (less ghetto) location

*never hire team or friends.

Page 1 of 1