SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  A cool bit of new info
Page 1 of 1    

A cool bit of new info

skinny
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I was recently discussing the effect of atmospheric pressure on a skateboard, with Alex from NLC ( the guy who makes those wonderful carbon decks.).

I had the idea that, since I laminate at a 5600 ft elevation, and when I do I add oxygen to the glue by mixing it good, and moisture to the maple (oxygen, and hydrogen) in small amounts. There would be oxygen trapped inside the laminate.....

When oxygen is captured at high altitudes, then transported to lower altitudes, it consrticts in size. Pulling any surrounding material with it (ever bought a drink when snowboarding and opened it, then drove home and the bottle was crushed in?) Basically the laminate becomes more dense at sea level, even after a full curing at 5600ft......or at least this is the idea.

We both agreed that he would take a picture of an older laminate he already had, and a new one, made by me .....when he got them.

My suspisions were correct. The glue lines were noticably tighter, when they reached him at sea level in Hawaii.

Long story short....If I make it at 5600ft, and you ride it at sea level, your deck will be laminated tighter than stuff made at lower altitudes.

Cool huh?
-Milt
skinny
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Here is the picture from Alex....

If you ask any deck laminator he will tell you that you can't make glue lines thinner on purpose. You might be able to make thicker ones but the deck would be flat and spongy.....All I can say is that is not going on here. This is an untouched photo from today. Look at the glue lines closely.
Thanks
evilo
Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I dont buy that theory-
If the glue / wood constricts then why is the board with tighter glue lines thicker? my theory is your venner thickness's are inconsistant and the boards pressed differnt based on that alone. I think you got tighter glue line beacuse you had a thicker venner in the mix.
just my opinion.

skinny wrote:
I was recently discussing the effect of atmospheric pressure on a skateboard, with Alex from NLC ( the guy who makes those wonderful carbon decks.).

I had the idea that, since I laminate at a 5600 ft elevation, and when I do I add oxygen to the glue by mixing it good, and moisture to the maple (oxygen, and hydrogen) in small amounts. There would be oxygen trapped inside the laminate.....

When oxygen is captured at high altitudes, then transported to lower altitudes, it consrticts in size. Pulling any surrounding material with it (ever bought a drink when snowboarding and opened it, then drove home and the bottle was crushed in?) Basically the laminate becomes more dense at sea level, even after a full curing at 5600ft......or at least this is the idea.

We both agreed that he would take a picture of an older laminate he already had, and a new one, made by me .....when he got them.

My suspisions were correct. The glue lines were noticably tighter, when they reached him at sea level in Hawaii.

Long story short....If I make it at 5600ft, and you ride it at sea level, your deck will be laminated tighter than stuff made at lower altitudes.

Cool huh?
-Milt
CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Skinny, you should try a deck or two via a vacuum press to compare...

Page 1 of 1