SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Splitting a Veneer Order
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Splitting a Veneer Order

Everide
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'm in the process of building my press and am looking to place an order on veneer soon.

I would like to find enough people to split the cost of the veneer (1000 maple decks @ $4-5 per deck + shipping).

If you are seriously interested, please PM or post here. I'm thinking you would have to get at least around +/- 100 decks.

Josh
chicagolongboards
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Oct 2005 Posts: 17 Location: southside of chicago
what size veneer are you looking to get? I need 50" veneer for longboards
pinche
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quote
I am definitely interested in splitting an order as well. I also need 60" cross and long grain sheets for building longboards.

snowboardmaterials.com offers 9.5� x 34� veneer for reasonable prices and will sell small orders - 5 decks worth of material minimum.

I emailed them about getting longer pieces and they said :

"I have had inquiries about longer veneer but the mills require me to order at least 1000 decks per size so I cannot justify carrying it right now

However, if I could possibly put together a few customers such as yourself who each order perhaps 100 or more decks of veneer I might be able to make it worthwhile and I could stock the balance.

Lindsay"

It seems to me that reselling short orders of raw veneer might make a good business for someone so inclined, or a side revenue for a large deck manufacturer. I for one am definitely down with paying 10$+shipping for a deck's worth of material and I know that businesses that take large orders from mills can get that much material for a fraction of that price. Why is it such a problem to get veneer for my hobby?! There are more and more people making their own longboards in their garage these days from what I've seen from this website and others. I wish there was some way to accurately quantify how much of a market there is for short order materials in this industry. That might cause the large skateboard manufacturing businesses to examine making a small side profit off their raw material as well as accessories and extra equipment. (even a DIY deck needs trucks, wheels, and grip.)
chicagolongboards
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
Het Pinche, I just posted a reply to your thread on silverfish about your press. We should try posting this topic on the fish and see if anyone wants in.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
done.
pennswood
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
i order wood every two weeks,
from greatlakes.
the best stuff there is out there.
i can get runs of different sizes,
so if anyone needs veneer.
email me @ [email protected]
we may be able to get something set up.
Everide
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
Hey,

I originally planned to do popsicles, But I would be up for going in on a hundred longboards worth of veneer too.

Hey Penns, sent you an email.
skinny
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
Joe,
I still need to find veneer in the 48 x 12 range....
No need to ask for dyed stuff either.
So, if these guys put something together I would be down for some.
In fact you know, I still want to get some regular stuff from you.

-Milt
pinche
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
Fundable.org is a service that lets groups of people pool money to make purchases or raise money. It has a feature that allows a seller to sell to a group before making the product.

I'm thinking that this could be used by some entreprenurial person or longboard manufacturing business to provide veneer to us hobbyists for a profit, while minimizing the risk of not being able to sell off the entire bulk order of veneer.

I won't go into how it works, you'll have to see the site for that. But basically, the buyers don't have to pay unless there is enough participation to make it worth the seller's while, and the seller doesn't have to pay for the service unless the transaction is a success.

I'm thinking that if the the minimum order was set at the $100-$200 range, we could easily commit enough of our cash to make it worth someone's while to make the bulk order of 1000 decks of 12X60" maple veneer direct from the mill, and distrubute the smaller orders at a profit.
chicagolongboards
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
I like the idea, I'll check out the site and get back to you.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next