SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  No more new collectors.
Page 1 of 1    

No more new collectors.

The Green Monkey
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/...05.html?mod=blogs

In Goodyear, Ariz., Zita Wessa, 72, says her grandchildren walk past her display cases of gnome figurines "and show no interest at all."

Kind of a sad article somehow.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
The Green Monkey wrote:
"and show no interest at all."

Hmmm. Anyone consider what would happen to their collections after death?
bfg1971
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
I don't have anything that's good to anyone other than me so....bonfire.
El Loco Gringo
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
eBay.
gamby
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Some collectors now accept that younger people don't want their stuff. Philadelphia Daily News columnist Stu Bykofsky, 64, has collected the last editions of 79 daily newspapers that closed down since 1963. His adult children don't want the old newspapers, which fill a closet. "The only kind of paper my family wants is greenbacks and stock certificates," he says.

He hasn't been able to find a university to take his collection, either. And now he's under the gun to get rid of it. He is about to marry his third wife, who is 27 years old, and in the prenuptial agreement, there's a clause that he must dispose of the collection by Dec. 31. She wants to store her shoes in that closet.

"At least I can wear my shoes," says his fianc�e, Jennifer Graham. "He never reads those papers, and besides, he likes how I look in my shoes."

I ain't sayin' she a gold digga...

Jesus. I wonder what this chick's intentions are. I hope she fucks his brains out on a daily basis, because otherwise, she sounds like a raving c**t.
SkaterBonds
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote
To hell with the useless and unenjoyed collectables. They are a waste of space. I mean this with the best of intentions.

When someone collects something, it's strictly for memory and or enjoyment. If the memory means nothing (shame on the arrogant) and the enjoyment has been lost, it is worthless to keep.

I am an avid crap collector, be it old toys, skateboards or car parts, but one thing I will never stand for is to have a collection of ANYTHING that I do not enjoy and interact with on a frequent basis.

I mean, after all, what the hell is the point of keeping decks under your bed for months on end, unless you have a significant plan for them in the future? The only justification I can see in keeping something stored away, is if you have no place for it, but plan on having a place for it in the near future (like monkeyman's situation) or strictly for cash.

People don't get into the collecting world for cash value of things, and if they do, they are a dealer/ store or they won't be collecting long or for the true meaning behind the enthusiasm.

If my skateboards become worthless, so be it. Let them be used up for their original perposes. If one of my airs or otherwise recepiants of my crap can benefit and enjoy life from my shit in any way, even if it means to sell it and take their loved ones on a vacation, I'd be happy knowing that.

There comes a turning point in any collector where if something has done all that it can do for them, it's pointless to keep it and it's time to let it go to someone else who will enjoy it for their durration of time or just rid yourself of it to save the hassles of owning it. This is why a lot of us frequently change decks in our hordes.

Don't let your posessions own you. All the power to the woman who sees that the newspaper collection is doing nobody any good, but respect those who do enjoy their posessions. If it can do someone good, so be it, but if not, I say let it go. That is, after all, why we have any posession. To aid in the enjoyment of life. And if it's not fufilling the enjoyment, fuck it! You don't need it. Keep anything you would like to remember those who you want and honor them in any way you see fit, so long as it's respectful.

Last edited by SkaterBonds on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
SCH04
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
what ^^he^^ said.
solpig
Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Sep 2005 Posts: 140 Location: Union Occupied South
That was an excellent article.

Before I got into skating (again) I used to collect Baseball gloves.Not just any Baseball glove,but high end,major league calibre Rawlings,Wilsons'Mizunos,etc.

As soon as the skating bug bit my Ass ,it was amazing how expendible that glove collection became. At any given time I had 50 gloves worth anywhere from 75-500 dollars....and with trading and what not,over the 5 or 6 years I did it , I probably had 300Plus through my doors(and out again).Hell...I had a 'connection' in the pro shop for Rawlings...I was like a drug dealer.I would get 5,000 dollar boxes of gloves and work my ass of selling them to get 2 out of the batch.

As my wife barely tolerated the gloves,I knew better than to have two collections.I sold off the gloves as the decks and gear rolled in....My sons need new pads....that's 3 gloves...I want a new deck complete,that's 3 gloves.New longboard....4 gloves.

Funny...I don't really collect skateboards like a lot of the REAL collectors...we just have about 15 KILLER riders that are updated and swapped.It keeps it looking better for the Mrs. and that way if I die tomorrow,there's no tragedy about the 'grail' becoming a rider.

...and after all that Baseball glove collecting .....I own 3.I'm sure if push came to shove I could do the same with my decks.

-piggy

Page 1 of 1