SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Is your shop in debt?
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Is your shop in debt?

How were sales in 2005?

Incredible - I can't believe how well we did.  
20%
  [ 3 ]  20%

Good - Not incredible, but still worth talking about.  
40%
  [ 6 ]  40%

Ok - We're making it - barely.  
33%
  [ 5 ]  33%

Bad - Sales have been poor.  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Terrible - We've hit rock bottom.  
6%
  [ 1 ]  6%

Total Votes : 15
inkycaps
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Ill probably close my shop this year.

If you have a brick and mortar shop and are in a failry big city, you gotta worry about the big chain mall store coming to town.

Zumiez and Pac Sun are one thing, any hard goods driven shop can piss on them.

But when theres a shop that comes to your town offering 20 dollar blanks, 45 dollar pro models, and pretty much every skate shoe out there at 25% less than what you charge for...good fuckin luck. Not to mention thier own vast oem line thats cheap, and creates endless ammounts of street advertisment.

The more and more skateboariding becomes mainstream, the more small independent shops will go down.

Ive seen birdhouse, flip, and pig boards at Big 5.
If manufactueres dont give a shit, why should your local skaters care where they buy thier product. Thats where the attitude is these days.
Slogans like "Support your Local Skateshop," or "Support your Locally OWNED Skateshop" dont mean shit anymore.

Once skateboarding goes to the olympics, i think the brick and mortar shops will be another dodo bird. Couple that with the increased quality coming out of China, why would skaters, or mommy and daddy, want to by a "pro model," when they can get Johnny a blank for 20 bills?

My advice to anyone thinking of doing a skateshop, do it in a location and have the market cornered. Or, sell out and open one in the mall. fuck it. Thats the only way you might be able to make it. But, you never know when the big corporations are gonna open up to this market, or just open up shop down the street from you.

Anyone that wants to know anything on the whole owning a shop deal, let me know and Ill answer your questions honestly.
lsu
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
my bro's shop had a good year but we are in a smaller market and he has been here for 10 years. Only thing that keeps him afloat is his rep and rent at $350 a month. I don't see how eats some months. Feb always is a slow shitty month. He started carrying the Nike shoes and that has helped him out some.
auragreg
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
$350 for rent!?!?! I wish .... that would make things a lot easier.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
lsu
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
my bro that owns it also buys nothing but closeout shit and then sales it at regular price. You gotta remember that most of these peolpe are kids that look up to you. Tell them what they want, don't let em pick shit out. I always steer in the right direction where the shop makes a buck and the kid gets a decent product
sk8artz
Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Sounds tough. I think having a skateshop is not enough anymore. You need to offer something else to the customer to get them in the door. Like a few skateshops here in NYC also have art galleries in them. They have openings and partys and create a scene. People are buying skate gear, art and more non skater people are involved in the shop. Opening up a skateshop near a skatepark probably makes the best business sense. Especially, if there isn't one there already. Opening up a cafe/park/shop/arcade is a good idea also.
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
we have no real skateshop in my area. there are the chain stores. the closest real shop near me is in frederick which is at least an hour away. DC has such a huge market and we are forced to go to chain stores. everyone bitches and moans about the shops existing, but they do nothing about it. I would do something myself, but I am going to college and shit. SOMEONE DO SOMETHING. If in 5 years there is still nothing, there will be a kick ass shop owned by yours truely, I promise. Maybe 6 years, but you get the point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2