SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HARDCORE PUNK & SKATE ROCK  »  i dont really like hardcore punk all that much... i was one
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

i dont really like hardcore punk all that much... i was one

big.kahuna.burger
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:26 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 19 Jan 2002 Posts: 15613 Location: Melbs dude... Melbs
yeah. is there anyone else like that in here?

in the mid/late 80s i'd go to skate comp, and it was always punk punk punk. i'd go to a demo, and there it would be... loud loud loud. punk punk punk. no one i ever skated with would ever call themselves punk. they skated. but they felt obliged to list all these punk bands that they thought were so fucking awesome, even though they didnt actually like them or listen to them. if i had a dollar for every kid i saw with the DK logo texta'd onto the top of his deck... man, id be richer than bill gates.

the big skaters in the mags always listed the same bands. so everyone who idolized the big skaters would just copy them. i always felt weird cos i never liked that sort of stuff. watching Sc videos with the sound turned off cos the music really put me off the skating.

dont get me wrong. im not saying i dont like the punk thing. im just saying it wasnt for me, and i was made to feel weird amongst skaters cos of my music tastes. everytime id read an interview with one of the skaters, it was always the same old thing listed. social distorion. tsol. dead kennedys. minor threat. whatever. it wasnt till i saw a profile of vallely, and he listed the smiths, i thought "holy fuck!!! someone else likes the same music as me!!!"

uhhhh. ive kinda lost the point of this post already, but was there anyone else out there who didnt actually give a shit for punk music. and actually listened to something else and was made to feel weird for it.

like the smiths, cure, etc in the early/mid 80s, and pwei, neds, carter usm, etc towards the end of the 80s/early 90s???
stivason
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2001 Posts: 3923 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Hey Kahuna,

Dude I love punk but I also love the Smiths, and the Cure also. I think it's great that another skater besides me actually likes those bands. Dude U made my day!

bret
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
24-hour-pool-service
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I still love punk, but I also still love Siouxsie, Smiths, Cure, Echo, etc. Man the 80's were a great time for music period.

Jason
big.kahuna.burger
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:03 am Reply with quote
yeah. echo and the bunnymen. almost forgot about them...

the cutter was an awesome song. truly awesome. and the killing moon.

new order/joy division were another cool band i dug way back then. and funnily enough, i still do. saw em last week here in oz. it made me feel young again. if only i hadnt tweeked my ankle right before it. doh...
Devilock
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:17 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Nov 2001 Posts: 1141 Location: Long Island, New York
The Big Boys from Texas said it well in their song Fun Fun Fun:
"I'm a punk and I like Sham and Cockney rejects are the world's greatest band but I like PIL and Joy Division too, even though that's not what i'm supposed to do"
Any of you Zorlac freaks ever hear that one?
duckie
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Anyone remember Souled American or Phantom Tollbooth? I'm a big Wire fan too.
Buckethead
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:16 am Reply with quote
Hey Kahuna Neds is on a tour watch for them, should be sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
big.kahuna.burger
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:14 pm Reply with quote
yeah i heard... my brother in london saw em with the wonderstuff, carter usm, emf (before zac died), terrorvision and a few orther kick ass late 80s bands at an old skool grebo festival... the lucky bastard!!!

10 bucks sez they dont come to australia... no one like that ever does... they have to have made it really big, and then be on their way out before they come here...

yeah we're gonna get vanilla ice and mc hammer sometime in the next couple of months.

yo vip. lets kick it...
Buckethead
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:54 am Reply with quote
They came to Canada about 15 years ago LOL! My brother went and said they were cool. I hope they come here again that would be very cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
curbdog
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 6:37 am Reply with quote
I've always dug bands like Minor Threat, Fugazi, Black Flag, etc....But when bands like Big Drill Car, The Doughboys, All, and the whole southern California melodic punk thing started happening, I was all about it. Still am to this day actually. The newer bands: Sensefield, Gameface, Samiam, Farside, etc. are all on my heavy rotation list.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next