SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  3 questions
Page 1 of 1    

3 questions

heshbot
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
1. I've been making boards for a couple of years now for myself, my son and one of my friends. I've been using birch plywood which is not very good when it comes to strength and it's too flexible. I found a pretty good source in LA for getting wood but they don't have maple at a 1/16 of an inch. They have it at an 1/18 of an inch. I'm guessing I'd have to add 2 more plys which isn't really cost effective but it appears to be my only option. Has anyone used an 1/18 of an inch and what are the drawbacks?

2. About making homemade molds and offsets. I've been thinking about this for a while. When you make a mold of a mold which a lot of people seem to do, isn't there an offset? It seems like you would have to compensate some because of the fact you have anywhere from 7-21 pieces of veneer between the mold which is going to put more pressure on the nose and tail and less pressure in the middle. This doesn't seem like much of a problem if you are just doing 1 board at a time but it could become a problem if you do more than that. Especially if you start doing more than 5 at a time. Also it seems you may be able to compensate by putting a piece of shag carpet or some spongy rubber on the mold.

3. This is related to question 1. I'm in San Diego. Does anyone know where to get 1/16 maple around here.? I'm willing to drive as far as LA.

Thanks for your help

Elm

Page 1 of 1