SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  Conflicting collection...
Page 1 of 1    

Conflicting collection...

SkaterBonds
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:39 am Reply with quote
Well, crap. First off, my name is Dave. I am a pressed pine lumberjack jockey rolling on urethane dreams from the '80's and a collection addict at that. Not just skateboards, but the many Transformers from the 1980's and a car freak to make it worse.

My problem: I loves my stuffs. Just like you. I'm short on cash (have plans for what green I do have), I want more stuff (not much) and something's gotta give.

Here are my priorities for recent plans with me cash:

1. Restore my truck. I have $6G in it, it's brand new in boxes and it needs about $1,200 to finish it up. I have to get this thing rolling.

2. Get 4 more decks. Yes... Just 4... 2 of which are on the way. I have my first deck back again from when I was 8, so the motivation to spend just isn't there anymore, but there are 2 others that I want for memory sake.

3. Get more Transformers. I have like 250 of these bastards all complete with their stuff completing the 1st, 2nd and most of the 3rd series of the generation one runs. I need the rest of the 3rd series and the few that were released in series 4... Series 5 and 6 right before they sucked with Generation 2 can go to hell along with it.

Let me just say that the Transformers are not going anywhere. I've been collecting them actively since 1997 before all of the reissue crap hit the shelves and before you could even get a reissue movie poster or even a simple patch or T shirt with Optimus Prime or an Autobot symbol on it. There were 5 websites that had ANYTHING to do with the Transformers and NOTHING for old skates.

My skateboard collection is small and I don't want a lot. Just the ones that strike old memories from friends decks or ones that I had or hold fond memories of. It looks like this:

-1988 G&S Blaze Blouin Winged Eyeball (maroon stain)... This one started the madness in 1998. I bought it from an "underground" list that the guy at the skate shop showed me. There was nothing else available for a resource other than these lists some of the shops had with black and white print of the old stock.

I bought it with some black OJ2 street razors, indies and urethane risers, gripped it with pre cut NOS coarse black stuff as to not cut or file anything on the deck, rode it for about 4 miles, came to my senses, cleaned the dust off of it, dismantled it, polished it and hung on the wall it with the wheels under it with the bearings pressed out of them and cleaned up. The deck never made contact with the ground or anything else. I just rode it home from the shop.

-1986 Vision Psycho Stick mint/shrink (white paint with the totally nuts print and shaded skin, not a reissue.) I got this madman from the same guy as above in 1999 well before they started reissuing them.

-1979 Kryptonics foam core team deck mint undrilled for anything including trucks... Got it from my neighbor... long story.

And my first deck from when I was 8 (took me 9 years to find it again in Belgium!):
-1990 Jeff Kendall Jagermeister in shrink with the warranty papers, cruise control flyer, cruise control stickers and spacer. Midnight blue stain... It's actually THE deck shown on AoS as the black variant even though it's not realy black) My first one when I was 8 was natural finish with black trackers, black cell blocks, black rails, green/black swirl Toxic Acid Rain 59mm's with swiss bearings and neon green grip tape with bridge bolt hardware...

I had every high schooler wanting to trade me setups and I wouldn't have it. I actually kept my first one for 10 years in good shape, cleaned it regularly and oiled the bearings. I got a popsicle to destroy a year after I learned how to ollie on the Kendall, so it never got fucked up. Gave it to a friend so he could learn how to skate as long as he didn't sell it and that's just what he did a week later. That got him a kick in the shins and a fat lip.
NEW SKATERS: DONT GIVE YOUR FIRST DECK AWAY AND ONCE YOU GET GOOD ENOUGH TO FUCK IT UP, GET ANOTHER ONE BEFORE YOU DO!

On the way in the mail:

-1989-'90 Jeff Kendall blank (NOS mint purple stain blank for $23... you cant beat that. I'm making the screaming hand color screens for a print on this deck. I'll post pics!)

- New Misfits chrimson ghost (feind) on a yellow background ( looks like the Horror Buisiness album cover) on a coffin shaped deck!!

Looking for my friends old Caballero Dragon 2 (not a reissue!) and the 1990 G&S Monroe Warhol (decided against it for the Kendall Jagermeister deck for my first deck because the G&S was purple stain and the shop was out of purple grip tape... it had to look good in my mind i guess) I've been after this for 9 years in any color. (I missed out on it last week in the for sale section because I didn't know this site existed!!!)

The thing is that I don't have any sentimental bond to the Kryptonics foam stick and I know it's worth a grip, but I also know what it is and what it represents and I'd hate to sell it.

What the hell should I do? I'm leaning towards selling the Krypto to finish up loose ends.

At least I don't have anyone who hates my hobbies and I know I'm one of the fortunate few. My girl loves the art on the decks and likes watching the old bones videos and actually preffers old school riding to nowadays. She doesn't bother me about my toys, but sometimes she's confused about my insane reactions when I see an old stick that I remember...

I guess you just had to be there in order to understand why. Everyone was a little crazy about it back then... the art, the tricks, the gear and clothing people would wear, the music, the hair... It was a different world.

Thanks for reading. It's hard to have a conversation with the people I know around my hood about the old skate scene... Nobody likes to talk about it or remembers enough of it or cares enough to carry on a good conversation here in Denver.

Page 1 of 1