SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Shop wheels /private label wheels?
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Shop wheels /private label wheels?

skinny
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I will let this one go. I can't pretend to have experience as a skateshop owner. I am sure that you will do whats right for your shop. I like the fact that you have some limits to what you will do for money. I like to argue too much. If I were some bogus ass pro these days I might agree with everything you said, but I am not. I work for a living.
TenetSW
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Dec 2004 Posts: 639 Location: on the outside looking in
don't let it go...there's nothing interesting in the hot discussions section to read

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
skinny wrote:
I like the fact that you have some limits to what you will do for money.

Yah. I'm a pain in the ass to myself too, but I will not sell crap to skaters.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Mar 2005 Posts: 840 Location: Incredibly distant star
I held out selling shop decks as long as I could. If a kid was on a budget, I tried to steer him toward a good quality brand blank, like a Powell Minilogo. I did not like the idea of selling no-name blank decks.

But guess what? Other shops started doing the shop deck thing, and kids ate 'em up. I was approached by their same supplier for shop decks, and I knew they were lousy the moment I saw what they were about. You could get anything with your shop name put on it. Backpacks, helmets, decks, with super low minimums. It was pure junk.

So I looked at getting into the shop deck arena as a way of bringing a higher quality decks at an affordable price, and of course the promotion is a big plus as well. I just put in an order for a real nice shop deck, with a full graphic, shrinkwrapped, and made here with our wood. There were many cheaper alternatives, domestic and overseas, that I declined.

Of course I fully support pros and skate companies, but (good) shops are the vital link that promotes the local scene, the backbone of the skate industry. I don't care how a good is a pro is at promotion, without the shops, there's nothing. Show me a town without a skateshop, and a true, lasting skate scene will be virtually non-existant.

So that's why I'm considering shop wheels. I want something better than a blank wheel. I try to educate my customers and explain that it's worth it to spend a bit extra and get some good wheels, but some honestly don't care so long as they're round. If I can give them an alternative that supports and promotes my shop while offering them a high quality product, I'm stoked.

I may still go with Creative. I can get their top of the line urethane formula, but what I'm not sure about is that it's 500 wheels in one size, hardness, and colour.

Last edited by Area 51 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
slob-air
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
You make some good points -- it would help if the Pros actually got out and promoted like they should and the big companies sent them all over rather than blowing their load on beer and girls in bikinis at ASR. They should be helping shops sell pro decks.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quote
slob you make some great points
BUT

i sell awesome usa made(natural mfg, in wilmington ,nc) shop decks that i paint my self that out last many pro decks

until this year i with held the china wood and did fine but the almost round 3 forced me to carry almost or the kiddies would go to the mall

i sell a good bit of conscience, subluxed, rokenrol, oasis, and a few other indy brands

i am so stuborn i even tried to sell only dekline shoes, since they really only sell to skateshops , which i dont think anyone else does but nike

long story short , i tried to keep it real and almost went out of buisness so i did shop decks, got china wood, and went back to sole tech AND i have gained 10 pounds

and for what its worth dna, and syndrome dist have helped me out a ton in 2 years , so thanks to you guys
skinny
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
jahio wrote:

i sell a good bit of conscience, subluxed, rokenrol, oasis, and a few other indy brands

Maybe you would be interested in my stuff? pm me.
Every deck is American made, with american maple, in Reno Nv., by me the owner.
Adrian
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
here's a good article on the whole thing
http://www.twsbiz.com/twbiz/industrynews/article/0,21214,707694,00.html
skinny
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Shop decks? I just got a few responces from this thread. I have not done them in a while, mostly cause the costs are just not right. I guess I might have to consider it if it was the right shop. However, the only difference is that my decks are better than the pro decks out there, so I guess that they would last way longer than the shop decks people are buying for 10-20 bucks. It could mean alot to the shop though, if their shop deck were better than say.. the big name stuff on their wall. Do you think there is room for say a 35 dollar shop deck?

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3