SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Chinese Decks...
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Chinese Decks...

Fedupskateboards
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
China. I think their wood is still the same, just made in China for cheaper labor.

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Not even close. China doesn't have the right geography or weather to grow quality maple, so they grow inferior birch which they try to sell as maple.

Wood coming out of Dwindle's Chop Chop Wood Shop is imported Canadian Maple.

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
yes sir, thats what i meant. I think their wood is the same as before they moved, just imported then constructed there because labor is cheaper

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
This isn't exactly related to skateboard manufacturing but have any of you guys seen the movie The Yes Men? They make some very interesting points about exporting labour to third world countries and how it's actually cheaper to export labour than to maintain a slave workforce in North America. Pretty fucked up.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
anybody else have a list?
Area 51
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Mar 2005 Posts: 840 Location: Incredibly distant star
A lot on companies are using a mix of US and overseas manufacturing. Even PS Stix has a factory set up in China, whlile keeping their US woodshop going at the same time, so it's definitely getting murkier since many companies do not label their boards (although PS Stix does).
Rich215
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
Not even close. China doesn't have the right geography or weather to grow quality maple, so they grow inferior birch which they try to sell as maple.

slob, my 100% chinese gf says you should visit northern china....from Bejing and north of.....there are many maple trees there. The weather in that part of the country is much like north america.

I'm guessing that maple trees need cold weather to produce harder quality wood? What else contributes to the quality of Canadian Maple...vs. maple from other areas of the globe?

Also, the quality of a skateboard is not evident from where it is made! It is evident from what wood is used!

Also, for all you "I only buy american cars/trucks" Most of the parts on it are from several different countries. Just like many other products in our lives.

I really do not care about where anything is acutally made.....as long as it is high quality!

And I do not want to hear anything about slave labor in china......for you people that think making $200. (US funds) a month in china is bad....you might not realize that equates to $1,600 in US worth! If you made $400 per month in China....you would live very well.....have a place to live and eat out about 3 or 4 times per week even!

The reason why we have such a large trade difference with China here in the US....is because chinese people do not want to pay $200 for a pair of Nike shoes...when they can buy a pair of local shoes at $30. Even if both of the shoes are made there in China.
skinny
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I have been trying to stay away from this discussion for a while, I have to interject. The type of maple does make a difference, china grows maple in soil that makes the trees produce veneer with higher mineral content, this reduces the bondability of the veneer itself. A Chinese maple forest typically grows in dryer, warmer climates. The actual tree is classified as hard birch. I have heard of people transplanting U.S. maple trees to China. Even speaking of Canadian maple there are big differences between the stuff on the west coast and the stuff on the east coast.

As far as manufacturing the Chinese techniques have had to adapt to producing thousands of decks a day. This has lead them to do things like heat pressing, dry laminates, and lower quality control in general.

The main thing I have to complain about is that when this whole overseas manufacturing started we were all promised a discount, as far as I know a Dwindle deck is still priced just as much as every other thing on skateshop walls. Birdhouse as well.
notaint
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
skinny wrote:
as far as I know a Dwindle deck is still priced just as much as every other thing on skateshop walls. Birdhouse as well.

The only place to get dwindle around here is at the mall. So $180 for a complete seems more expensive to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SkateboardHouseUSA
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:20 am Reply with quote
actually dwindle decks cost like $10 less for shops

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next