SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  new press
Page 1 of 1    

new press

waxux
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Just finished building our new press but am having trouble posting the pics can some one post them for me?
skinny
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I will

Last edited by skinny on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
waxux
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
hey thanks skinny it's as good as done
ThrashCan
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
PUT EM UP!
waxux
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:10 am Reply with quote
Ok I just emailed them again hopefully I got it right this time. If I didn't they're posted on a temporary web page here....

http://home.earthlink.net/~wedmfg
ThrashCan
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
is that frame strong enough? looks like it might push itself apart.
skinny
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I took so long,

[/url]

I really like the design. You have saved yourself alot of time and money by building this thing. I say this cause you could right now take the whole thing to a metal fab shop and ask them to reproduce it in steel. For the uprights I suggest 4 inch channel stock, for the cross beams and header I suggest 4 in I beam stock. In total materials are about 150-200$ cut to size and the welder could build it in about 2 hours. I am most impressed by the mold, is that carved out of wood? You have my e-mail write me again. VERY COOL!
waxux
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Man thanks alot skinny for the pics being posted and for the comments it means alot. I actually built this as our production press versus having one made from metal. It was inexpensive and fun to design and build.
The mold in the pics was hand built using individual pieces cut and shaped
to the final product. A good idea inexpensive but very time consuming and very difficult to get both halves to match perfectly. We've abandoned this mold for a faster more accurate method much like Dunn's. It will be poured with cement found at your local Lowes. This material is absent of the stone but yields (fully cured) a compressive strength of around 6000psi and costs about $11 for a 20lb bucket.

To answer trash can truthfully I went ahead with pre run testing on the press today, no bra it does not pull itself apart thankfully. The pieces of the press are bolted together, and the frame assembly is solid throughout. I tested using our old mold first loading it up with junk plies it had a smooth press up but that mold is inconsitant and there were audible creaks and pops. Next I blocked up the ram arm to its highest point with the jack compressed all the way closed. I cranked the jack until there was a feeling of mild tension, no noise, no stress. Five pumps more no visable twisting or stress on the parts no noises of movement to report.
When the new mold is built and the press frame is fully cured there will be more tests to see how many decks this set up can handle. There will be a constant monitor of longevity of this press.
skinny
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
28 days at least for full cure, any rebar? fiber? I have lots of experience with that part. Feel free to pick my brain. Also if you have the time, wet the concrete periodically to slow the curing, if you do then give it like 35-40 days. I am so glad to hear that you are getting somewhere. I am always here to help.
waxux
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info on the mold skinny. Yeah there will be a rebar of sorts used. I'm opting for threaded rod instead of rebar, it will be just as effective and will allow us to fasten our mold together once the right pressure has been achieved.

Page 1 of 1