SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  longboard setup help?
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

longboard setup help?

SK878
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 03 Jun 2003 Posts: 632 Location: Phantom 309 Lounge - Fairview, TN
I run wedged Trackers on both my Gravity Ed Economy 55" and Afroman Big Worm 59". 73mm/80a Gravity wheels and 70mm green Hawaii K Kryptos, both are great wheels but... if I had more sets of Flashbacks I woulda used them. Great wheels.
Stubbs
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
CIVILIAN: The Randal DH truck does not begin to turn until you hit about 30-35mph. For ultra high speeds there is nothing more stable but you WILL NOT WANT THEM FOR CRUISING. Listen to ATX Jim.
MileHighSkates
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
Seismics wouldn't be a bad choice, either.
civilian2b
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Posts: 1631 Location: *IN* The Deathbox
..always pushin' the seismics you are...

stubbs, thanks for the tip...i'm still getting the hang of this whole downhill/longboard thing...

ya know last year when i first picked up a board i started doing the old carpet-ollies, then i got a bigger board and hit the bowls, then a buddy of mine introduced me to a downhill guy..and the funny thing is..at each stage in my 'evolution' as a skater...at each stage, i've been saying to myself..."oh..this is IT, i'm hooked, i found what i want to do untill the day i die"..i had my stoke turned up to eleven each step of the way, and it sure as shit isn't going anywhere...

i think that only in skateboarding: a sport that is the very definition of 'multi-faceted..only with skateboarding have i felt this alive (family excluded)...

so...having said that...thanks for the advice on the randal dh's, i'm guessing it's time to setup a speedboard now ..

little help here...my current (only) longboard is a 46" slighty concanve blank deck with a kicktail..i'm guessing the 'appropriate' use for this would be carving, cruising, and mellow hills

now enter the supertanker..i'm guessing this thing would ALSO be used for the same purpose? or does it have hidden aspects that I, in my beginner state-of-mind, have yet to unlock...like so many levels of Zelda

spanks again
-justin
civilian2b
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:44 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Posts: 1631 Location: *IN* The Deathbox
hey its' me again..

bushing question...for a speedboard, i'd want a harder bushing right? for stability?
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:03 am Reply with quote
yeah, if you want PRIMO bushings for speed boarding, check out the JIM Z bushings. i got a set from that dude ian, and they are awesome. check em out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Stubbs
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:48 am Reply with quote
Check it out, Civ...

For pretty much any long wheelbase set up (20" plus) you have the ability to run your trucks loose as hell and maintain speed and stability. I run the softest I can find for these set ups. These set ups are great for parks, streets, ditches, hills, parking garages, some pools, and generally great for speeds just under or up to about 30 mph for me. We have a parking garage in downtown where we can hit about 25mph and any of those set ups are great in those settings.

Now, for my speedboard I have been using the green Tracker Superball for my 219 DARTS or some black INDY bushings that I had to cut down to get them to fit the RANDAL DH. You want them stiff but you still need to be able to turn. I don't know what speeds you are attaining but I would be serious about putting on a GOOD helmet if you are reaching the 35-45mph range. Full face is best. The number one thing I would stress if you are getting serious about speed is LEARNING TO FOOTBRAKE. God help you if you happen to be a mongo like me and had to learn NOT to foot drag with that damn front foot!!!!!!! The best advice I can give for footbraking (and you will need it if you are ever riding in or around any kind of traffic) is to SLOWLY roll your foot onto the ground HEEL FIRST. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT TRY TO BRAKE WITH A POINTED TOE. You will eat shit and you will be hurt badly or die. Learn to slowly and lightly ROLL you foot onto the ground heel first.
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote
stubbs, already teaching how to foot break, he is getting it pretty well! I also gave him some suggestions as to which fullface to get with a budget. in dc there is almost always traffic, so footbrakes are VITAL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2