SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Matched Maple
Page 1 of 1    

Matched Maple

lessthancivil
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Wood (heh, sorry) would any of the manufacturer types please share their opinion on this?

I am out of maple. My supplier has a line on some good looking rotary cut that is 23" wide. This works out well because my projects are standardized at 10" and 12" widths.

Is it to low budget trailer trash to have a match running the length of a board face?

The work is always surfaced with epoxy so sanding and painting over the match is not an issue.

The primary concern is for clear decks with interspersed graphics.

Thanks,

Brian
skinny
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I guess that the filler pieces can be glue lammed but you do lose quite a bit of over all strength, also warping might be a concern. You are however making larger sized decks 10-12in. I say try it with filler pieces only and use whole piece crossbands and face veneer. Also look for a mill or supplier with customs cuts available. Good luck.
lessthancivil
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Skinny.

Got 180 sheets coming in on Monday for a trial run.

Brian

Update 022205

When I got to the veneer shop, there was good news and bad news.

The bad news - the material was not as advertised. As I had driven several hours to inspect then pick up the material, the mood was "lessthancivil" however when the opportunity to actually look over the stock came about, the clouds parted and angels began to sing.

The gospel - the folks I work with at Sauers Veneers in Highpoint, NC (www.sveneers.com - wholesale only, retail through Wood Craft and others) went out of their way to put an order together. The material actually wound up be ~ 50" X 50" clear face grade rotary cut edge glued maple assembled from pieces ranging from 6" - 14" (a brand new mold is in the works for a speed deck that will need 50" stock). An entire pallet. Plus I was allowed to hand select several hundred more board feet of clear face in both 10" and 12" that was dimensioned for the molds right there on the spot. And they worked with me on price.

I guess good things do happen to bad people from time to time.
Gotta go make boards.
Later.
skinny
Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
very cool! just my two cents is: if you need to cut them to size, try a sraight razor or a blade then scrore them real well and break themwith a straight edge. Also get them into some sort of plastic wrap soon to preserve some moisture. Please post pics of the final product Thanks!
lessthancivil
Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I trim most of my veneers to size either by sheer or back sawing (feeding the stock in under a radial arm saw in the direction of rotation - not for unskilled users, use at your own peril)

I'm glad you said something about wrapping the wood, it is under a stack at the moment but it should be sealed up as well.

Been posting some of our stuff over at silverfishlongboarding (rock fish, grunt and swordfish under my company name) while also working on other projects for vendor's and shops.

Below is a sample of the swordfish:

The version on the left is the production model.

Page 1 of 1