SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Any Fibreflex experts?
Page 1 of 1    

Any Fibreflex experts?

70sSkater
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:20 am Reply with quote
I bought a deck recently which I believe is an old Fibreflex. The griptape and sticker were removed, but there appears to be a shadow of the original Fibreflex sticker on the top. I want to figure out which model this is so I can try to restore it to its original look.

The deck measures 26 1/2" x 6 1/2". It has three wood plys sandwiched between fiberglass layers top and bottom. The deck is stiff, not the usual flexy Fibreflex. The bottom color is a pale green and the top color is similar color, but a little more like aqua. There is a moderate kicktail and the tail of the board tapers back, so the tail is fairly narrow at the very end of the board.

I am wondering if this is the Kicktail Model and if it is, didn't the Kicktail Model have a unique sticker that said "Kicktail" or "Kicktail Model"? Also, would it have had the rubber grip tape or the later regular griptape?
fishsticks
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
My only Fibreflex experience is a garage sale purchase I made when I was 12 and just starting up. I tried learing ollies on that thing! At any rate, try this link out.
They've emailed me back in the past.

http://www.fibreflexskate.com/
dangersticks
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 1594 Location: Bombora's, California
Probably a '77 BowlRider. Do you have a pic?
Dadd
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I had a Bowlrider back in the day...Sounds real similar to what I remember. I thought the BR's were wider than that, though.

Sounds like the bottom may have aged, while the top was cover with grip. Mine had standard black die-cut grip.
70sSkater
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:02 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. Was the Bowlrider a stiff deck or a flex deck? I always thought it was a flex deck. I know they didn't have any distinctive markings to distinguish them as Bowlriders. Also, did the Bowlrider have a turned up kicktail or just overhang behind the back truck? The deck I have is a stiff deck and has a turned up kicktail.

I thought the same thing about the color difference between top and bottom, but when seeing it up close, it is definitely two different colors, although similar, and not a result of fading. It is strange that it does not have the highly contrasting colors that were common with the Fibreflex decks (e.g. aqua top, red bottom).
Dadd
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:17 am Reply with quote
The Bowlrider was relatively stiff for a Fibreflex, for a skinny 13 year old. Mine was red, with no markings on the bottom and only the sticker on the top. It had an upturned kicktail, but was covered with a Power Pivot. The nose caught hell because of the fiberglass ply splintering at the slightest touch.

I used Bennett Highjackers and Road Rider #4s. It was a nice transition between Logan and Dogtown.
70sSkater
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quote
Dadd, I know what you mean about the splintering. I was working on this deck on carpet and the splinters kept getting caught in the carpet pile.

I just saw a nice Bowlrider on ebay, item #3684614700. It has full coverage griptape and the "Fibreflex Bowlrider Model" sticker in the middle of the deck, like the Teamrider. In fact, it looks a lot like a Teamrider and has dimensions like a Teamrider too (Dadd, your memory serves you well). It measures 28 1/2" x 7 1/2". I can't tell how many plys it is, but it looks like three wood plys, but thicker plys than the board I have. I am guessing this was one of the last Bowlriders.

I am fairly sure the early Bowlriders did not have the "Bowlrider Model" stickers and that they did not have the full coverage griptape. I am going to have to scour some old Skateboarder mags to try to figure this one out. If anyone has anything more to add, I would appreciate it. If I could figure out how to post the picture here I would. I'll have to work on that too.

atxJIMatx
Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:54 am Reply with quote
you might try the "Vintage Gear" board over at http://www.ncdsa.com

Page 1 of 1