SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Getting my son (4yo) into skating
Page 1 of 1    

Getting my son (4yo) into skating

Scott105
Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:33 am Reply with quote
Hey guys!

I've been a big fan of skating for pretty much all my life, but unfortunately never took the leap. I got myself a board when I was around 18 and the neighbours complained because of how loud it was, so I stopped quite abruptly.

Now, I'm 26 and I have a 4-year-old son. I've been thinking of hobbies to get him into and got kind of inspired by watching a series of Camp Woodward. Thought it would be a great opportunity for me to try again, for my son to pick up a great hobby with lots of life lessons thrown in there, and for me and him to have something to learn together.

I'm gonna grab us a complete beginner setup each and get padded up to the max.

My question is, do you guys have any tips on how to get him started (and maybe me too while we're at it)? I.e., what should we be learning after just being comfortable on the board?
plankskate
Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I had my son on a board at that age. I started him out with a smaller complete similar to this one:
https://socalskateshop.com/Krooked-Swe...range-73x293.html

If I remember correctly it just needed some softer bushings to make it easier to turn.

Cruising around on ramps at the skatepark is a good spot to start once they're comfortable with the basics.

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:54 am Reply with quote
My boy's 9, started around 5. Top tip: patience! Don't push too hard, that's not fun for him, let him find his groove. My boy loves just rolling, turning and carving. There's years ahead for the bigger stuff.
plankskate
Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
steve-g wrote:
My boy's 9, started around 5. Top tip: patience! Don't push too hard, that's not fun for him, let him find his groove. My boy loves just rolling, turning and carving. There's years ahead for the bigger stuff.

Agreed 100%!
Avoid becoming one of those pushy jock skatepark parents. I've seen a few parents that seemed like they were trying to turn their kid into the next Nijah Huston. Skateboarding is supposed to be fun.

My son is 17 now and still likes cruising around the skatepark. He never got into the street skating side of things. As long as they're having fun, that's all that matters.

Page 1 of 1