SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Having trouble relearning ollies
Page 4 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Having trouble relearning ollies

king
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
I hope I don't get a citation....then again I'm not in a high ollie zone.
Scotty T
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
king wrote:
I hope I don't get a citation....then again I'm not in a high ollie zone.

Haha the whole thread was worth it for that video!

I didn't have the same problem when I was re-learning normal ollies. Took me about two goes. Stationary practice will get you the timing and muscle memory. Then apply the same while rolling, worked for me, here's an old video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ZABcgbg4M

I think you are not lifting your back foot. It is going straight to ground and your front foot is carrying the board around frontside.

I still can't nail kickflips after 9 years back at skating. Was never great at them as a kid. I do the exact same thing as you, except with my front foot, after I flick it to the side to make the board spin, I put it on the ground. Funnily enough, also exactly like you, I can kickflip while holding a handrail. I can fucking double kickflip holding a handrail! It makes it easy for me to float my front foot because the rail holds me steady in the air. I keep trying, and denting my shins.

king
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Scotty, good observation on the back foot not lifting up in that video. When I do ollies moving, both feet seem to be going up with the board with semi-decent height. Though I'm finding the landings tricky. Like I mentioned before, I either land with my weight too far forward or too much on the heel side edge with rolling ollies.
king
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 am Reply with quote
I'm still skating but I haven't been practising ollies for months. For some weird reason, Ive got this fear of doing them while rolling on hard ground. However, I have been practising the basic movements for ollies while stationary - hitting the tail on the ground and sliding the front foot up the deck repeatedly.

For the past few months, Ive been rolling off gutters with plenty of confidence. No fear at all. And Ive also been up and down some shallow concrete transitions in skate parks (fakies) - again no fear. And earlier today, I launched my board off the sloped section of the beginning of a gutter on the edge of a driveway. I was a little hesitant at first because it was pretty steep but I went ahead and launched two times and rode away successfully.

Though a little later in the evening, I tried ollies again and man, it was so scary. I really don't know why. I chose a spot where there was pavement with grass next to it. The idea was to roll along the pavement and then ollie just before the grass and land on the grass. Regardless, my attempts were really bad and mostly ended in failure. For the first few attempts, I didn't even pop the tail. I just jumped. After that, I sort of did a partial ollie but unfortunately turned frontside as a fear response. Though later on, I stopped doing that. There were many times when I bailed. I would sort of ollie but take my back foot off the board during the landing. I think I only recall about one or two times today when I did a half decent crude ollie but then immediately jumped off the board as soon as I landed.

This is going to take so long to get this thing right.
GETOCAT
Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I can ollie so high....

Front shuvits are NICE!
Yet...
I can't kickflip.

I'm trying to become proficient with No Complys.I'll circle back to the kickflips one day I guess...

We all got stuff to work on.

Scotty T
Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
GETOCAT wrote:
I can ollie so high....

Front shuvits are NICE!
Yet...
I can't kickflip.

I'm trying to become proficient with No Complys.I'll circle back to the kickflips one day I guess...

We all got stuff to work on.

I'm working the no-comply's too, but I can only do 180 ones. Trying to get foot back on the board before it hits the ground with limited success.

GETOCAT
Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
No complys look REAL cool.

king
Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
GETOCAT wrote:
I can ollie so high....

Front shuvits are NICE!
Yet...
I can't kickflip.

That's interesting. I was never able to ollie super high like some people can (back in the 80s.) Just enough to clear a low ledge. Though I learned how to kickflip pretty much straight away - also back in the 80s. I could do them while holding on to a fence. The thing is - I didn't have much of a desire to learn how to kickflip. I met another skater at a car park who basically said to me more or less: "I'll show you how to kickflip" and I said: "Okay." I followed his instructions and I was able to kickflip on about the first or second go.
king
Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:46 am Reply with quote
I had another go at olliies this evening - this time holding on to a fence. There were some rough first attempts but most of them turned out quite decent. There were a few times where the board turned frontside unfortunately. And one or two times when I didn't even hit the tail on the ground (just jumped.) Though the majority of the time, the ollies were fairly straight more or less.
Buddur
Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
My advice would be to only practice both on carpet and while riding. When on carpet you are stationary, so practice your pops only such that you land without sketching/being off balance...keep it up until you land confidently and don't feel off balance. When riding, simply pop your nose without trying to lift your tail. Don't look at your board, keep your eyes off your board, only look ahead to where you are riding and at what you want to pop over. Work on those mini-pops over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over while riding, and as you gain more board control and feel more confident then start popping over small stuff like cracks or seams in pavement/asphalt or a leaf or whatever won't stop you dead in your tracks. Then move on to popping over small stuff that will stop you dead to give you a challenge...put a stick or broom handle or whatever that is small but something you have to pop over. Remember, keep your eyes off your board.

Just my $0.02. Good luck, and...Skate & Destroy!

Page 4 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4