SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Having trouble relearning ollies
Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Having trouble relearning ollies

king
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Charlieee, that skateboard from the video originally came with a nose guard. It was hard plastic and if I recall, it just about shattered when it impacted with a solid object. Silly design. They should have made them out of rubber!

Right after the last skating session, my leg became much worse - I must have aggravated it from the skating. It got to the point where I could hardly lift my left leg on it's own in a sitting position. And sometimes walking can be a bit of a struggle. Ive decided to give skating a break until my leg fully heals - even if it takes a week (it's still not right.)

By the way, I think part of the reason why so many of my ollies are turning frontside unintentionally is because back in the 80s, I deliberately ollied frontside so much that I couldn't ollie straight anymore - at least while moving. It became a habit that I couldn't shake. And it still persists to this day - despite taking a break from skating for a few decades.

Though overall, I think Ive made some progress towards straight ollies. To recap - back in the late 80s and early 90s, my ollies were straight while stationary but when I did them while moving, I'd turn frontside automatically - I just couldn't help it. Couldn't do rolling straight ollies anymore.

Currently, in 2018 - when I do ollies stationary, I turn frontside over 95% of the time - I certainly wasn't expecting that. And when I try ollies while moving, I can do them straight roughly about a 1/3 of the time more or less. So yea I think you could probably call that progress.

sonicdan wrote:
less talk - more skating - better ollies.

Before the issues with my left leg, I was skating every day.
sonicdan
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:13 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
well, here's my 2c :

you care too much about what you can't do anymore - concentrate on skating for the sake of it. who cares if your ollies are "straight" or not, besides you? judging by the video, the point is not the rotation, the point is that you don't "guide" the board with your body (which is why a "moving" ollie will always work better than a stationary one).

Too bad about your leg. If the pain is in the knee, you might have damaged the cartilage by forcing ollies over and over again. If I got that right, you didn't skate for years, then got back into skating and started immediately working on ollies again? bad idea - years without skating and with little or no sports at all will weaken the muscles in the knee. If you switch into efforts with lots of impact, you will end up damaging a part of your body.

I'm no doctor, but that's what I understood from multiple recoveries from injuries.

My advice - take a break (obviously). Visit a doc if the pain subsists. When you get back into skating, get used to rolling and carving first, which will a. make you get a better 'feel' for the board; b. strengthen the muscles in the knee. There's so much more to skateboarding than just doing ollies...

Good luck and a speedy recovery!

king
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:46 am Reply with quote
sonicdan wrote:

you care too much about what you can't do anymore.

I'm not sure about that. During one of my first ollie practise sessions, I managed to do two extremely good ollies in a row while holding on to a fence. They were both perfectly straight, nicely leveled and surprisingly high. I don't know whether they resulted from just luck or what but it shows that I still have potential, even if most of my other attempts are terrible at this current time.

sonicdan wrote:
who cares if your ollies are "straight" or not

It can matter depending on the obstacle that you're ollieing over and the kind of environment you're skating in.

sonicdan wrote:
Too bad about your leg. If the pain is in the knee, you might have damaged the cartilage

No pain in my knee at all. It's likely an abductor muscle that's strained. And it only resulted from kicking out my front leg extra hard during one particular ollie session - misinterpreting a tip I read on here. No issues before then with previous ollie attempts.

sonicdan wrote:
If I got that right, you didn't skate for years, then got back into skating and started immediately working on ollies again?

Nope. I spent about a week and half just riding around and refamiliarising myself with the basics before I started trying ollies again.

sonicdan wrote:
bad idea - years without skating and with little or no sports at all will weaken the muscles in the knee.

Well I have done weight training in recent years (including deadlifts) but not too recently - over a year ago. Ive also done other board riding sports in the meantime like sandboarding and dirtsurfing.
gheepup
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Here's my take on your desire to get your ollies back. If thats what you want do do keep at it. Watch instructional videos. There are some really good ones and really bad ones out there so take what you can from the good ones. Visualize yourself doing perfect ollies. Heal up and have fun.
king
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Gheepup, yea I'm watching as many instructional videos as I can. I don't know how but I did manage to do two perfect ollies in a row about a week ago - as mentioned above. Probably as good as I was doing them in the 80s. On that particular day, all the other attempts before and after that were pretty bad. And since then Ive done some that could be considered almost half decent but not as good. And many that are terrible. I can't recall exactly how high those two good ones were but they would have been more than enough to clear a gutter, and possibly something even bigger. I'll just have to keep trying until I can do some more ollies like that - and consistently.

By the way, I like your avatar. Reminds me of the Powell Peralta boards I used to ride in the 80s. Great boards and beautiful looking graphics. I had one of them autographed by Tony Hawk, Steve Caballero and Mike McGill during the 80s at a Bones Brigade demo. I would have preferred to relearn the basics on them rather than my other 80s board but they were both stolen from my previous home.
charlieee
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:38 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Dec 2007 Posts: 1253 Location: Tootgarook.....Australia.
BITD...it was ,

'skate or die'
'skate hard or go home'

You obviously are skating at home King , just don't die.

sonicdan
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote
I think we got it now. Your ollies are not anymore what they used to be.

Okay.

sonicdan
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote
You're not alone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af6t5JpzGls

charlieee
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Dec 2007 Posts: 1253 Location: Tootgarook.....Australia.
^^^^^^hehehe.
JDN
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
sonicdan wrote:

classic!

Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next