SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Contemporary fishtail deck
Page 1 of 1    

Contemporary fishtail deck

king
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 am Reply with quote
Just wondering if many companies produce fishtail decks with double kicker, medium or mellow concave in about 9 - 9.30 width with about 15 - 16 inch wheelbase? Ive been searching extensively and Ive only come across one candidate - the Globe Innocents Blaster Jose Araujo. Overall, it's a beautiful looking shape but I have some reservations about the diamond tail from a functional point of view. I may be wrong but I wonder if the pointy end on the tail could negatively affect ollies. Also, someone else reckoned that it would probably razor tail quite quickly.

Would anyone know of any other fishtail decks that meet the above specs? I guess different people have a different interpretation of what a fishtail shape is. By fishtail, I mean a shape like this:

https://www.concretelines.com.au/pro...ro-10-47-deck/

However, some think of this shape as a fishtail:

https://www.concretelines.com.au/pro...26-5-complete/

As you may have guessed, I was a skater back in the 80s and I'm getting back into the hobby now.
slob-air
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
There's a shit ton of fishtails available in part due to the many many reissued decks and companies like Skatebuilt, PPS and several others that build such into their main product line.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Both your links are dead but h-street should be among those having decks that meets the definition, especially the magnusson hexagon or others more rounded versions.
king
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks all. Oh yea some of those Powell Peralta reissues are really tempting - though maybe later down the track when Ive got a bit more cash.

I see there are some really nice fishtail decks from H-Street. I wonder if any are available as completes. It's been many years since Ive bought a skateboard and I think I'd like the convenience of starting again with a complete so everything's ready to go.
king
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
I like the specs on the Danny Way Blackhole board from H-Street. I notice there is a 9.5 and a 10 inch version. Ive been trying to find out what kind of concave it has but all it says is 'surpreme concave.' You reckon it would be mellow, medium or deep concave? I admit I haven't used a modern concave board yet but I don't think I would be keen on a deep concave as Ive heard that can cause uncomfortable feet after a long riding session.
king
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
Actually, I'll have to reconsider and unfortunately steer away from the H-Street boards. The cost of shipping to Australia is insanely expensive. I do notice some H-Street decks available within Australia but they're very pricey here.

Regrettably, I think I'm going to end up with a popsicle board even though I would prefer to have a fishtail. And I'm not even into flip tricks. What I really wanted was a fishtail combined with modern deck features like double kick and semi-moderate concave but they seem to be few and far between and often pricey.

I actually did have some fishtails in the past. I used to ride a couple of Powell Peralta boards in the 80s but they are long gone.
king
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:44 am Reply with quote
I ended up ordering a Globe Perfect Day 9 inch popsicle board as a complete. So far, Ive been relearning the basics with my very first skateboard from the mid 1980s - a UFOs Australian made board. Completely flat too and worn out grip tape. The Globe should be light years ahead in skateboard deck design though I'll mainly be doing old school tricks with it.
GETOCAT
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:57 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
king wrote:
I'll mainly be doing old school tricks with it.

I do tricks so old the kids think they're new.HEYY!!

king
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:17 am Reply with quote
GETOCAT wrote:
king wrote:
I'll mainly be doing old school tricks with it.

I do tricks so old the kids think they're new.HEYY!!

Woah, I never thought of that possibility!

I remember in the mid 90s - having a chat with a young skater and I mentioned wall rides. His reply was: "Gee, that's an old trick." Huh? So what if it's an old trick? Riding up and down a vertical wall is one of the coolest and most surreal things you can do on a skateboard. I was sort of surprised by his reply.

Page 1 of 1