SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Jason Jessee
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jason Jessee

pig city
Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
Seems to be a whole lot of shit going down surrounding Jason Jesse and his past comments and actions regarding race. Dude has had to issue a formal apology on Instagram.

Hardly surprising this has raised its head after a lot of his past comments.
Being featured heavily in the new Converse video seems like pressure has been put on him to explain his views.

Still those opinions and his words have been around for years and SC seem to still show allegiance to his fucking skewed views and language...

Page 5 of the interview
https://joeking-speedshop.blogspot.co....w-iron-horse.html

thugfrm87
Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Serious question. Has he had these views since then, or did he just have them then? People say stupid shit when they are young. Not excusing it. Are people just jumping on the hat wagon, or is this legit. is he a racist?

Edit: a line
slavadov
Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
thugfrm87 wrote:
Serious question. Has he had these views since then, or did he just have them then? People say stupid shit when they are young. Not excusing it. Are people just jumping on the hat wagon, or is this legit. is he a racist?

Edit: a line

The magazine/interview is from 1995.

thugfrm87
Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
Thats my point. People make mistakes. People change.
slob-air
Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
thugfrm87 wrote:
Are people just jumping on the hat wagon, or is this legit. is he a racist?

He made a stupid comment a long time ago. He got knocked on his ass for it.

I'm not aware of any other similar comments.

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
Doesn't look like the Peanut Brown incident was the only infraction.
There's a lengthy thread going on the SLAP message board that chronicles a history of racist behavior. With the release of the new converse video with a JJ part, people are looking to bring the subject to the light. Does the industry know about and cover for shithead behavior? Do dollars trump values? What personality faults are ok to let slide and what ones are unacceptable? Looks like if nothing else, this pitchfork brigade has created some dialogue about the skateboard industry and how it deals with its faults.
Props to Jim T and Ryan Lay for acknowledging and properly responding to the situation.
http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=99673.1620
pig city
Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Isnt JJ also the manager of white supremacist band The Highway Murderers. Hardly the sort of association any big name sponsor should be associating with. Seems as though old Jessee likes to keep his hand in with this stuff. Just googled the band seem like a decent bunch of boys...

https://www.last.fm/music/The+Highway+Murderers/+wiki

https://itsgoingdown.org/stop-neo-nazi...forming-san-jose/

slavadov
Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:59 am Reply with quote
So, what's the end game here? Are we calling for a boycott and discontinuation of use of all brands that Jason is associated with? Or, is this just canned outrage?

edited to add:
I completely understand the canned outrage, especially this day in age when we have white supremacists and Nazis peeking out from under their rocks...racism and racial issues are huge these days, and any hint of that whole scene is thrust under intense scrutiny.

On the other hand, we ALL love the rebel/outlaw/fuck-'em aspect of skateboarding. Look at how "offensive" and rude all of the World Industries brands were back in the day. The Gothic imagery and Maltese (Iron/German/Teutonic/Prussian) cross were symbols of rebellion, ushered in by Vietnam-era (and earlier) biker gangs well before skateboarding. The racial jokes around Jovantae Turner's boards and graphics are utterly appalling; Natas' satanic imagery is weird as fuck; the FUBK series is a mess as well...but, those are all examples of the culture of rebellion that's been baked into skateboarding.

Sure, Jason might be a grade-A douche, but you gotta have guys like that (and Duane Peters...and drug-addicted Jay Adams) to balance out your squeaky-clean Tony Hawks, Rodney Mullens, and Ryan Shecklers. If Jason is actively marching with the Nazis and Fascists in 2018, while officially representing his skate sponsors, then we have an issue. If he's just being a dick, so be it. Assholes are gonna be assholes...he'll still be an asshole after all of his sponsors drop him.

Last edited by slavadov on Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

sonicdan
Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
it's gonna end with every post tied to a JJ deck ending with "btw, FUCK JJ!!"…

I only went through a single page of that discussion at Slab, but seriously… as much as I like opposing to the twisted and inhumane fairy tales of the white supremacists and as much as I'm willing to admit that stuff was coming (or maybe still comes) from JJ - there's a good amount of conspiracy theories in there!! Semantics like "tie the knots!!" rather make me more cautious towards the author of those lines than anything else… the b&w spade on Steadham's deck, CR Stecyks as the grand wizard of the skate industry??? hahahaa, come on.

maybe that'll do a good satire on conspiracy theories someday!!

SkateRags
Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes some of the stuff is off the wall. The Steadham thing being one of them. He still uses the spade so it wasn't a racial thing. I personally always thought, especially when he had the Ace of Spades deck, that it was him doing a play on that racial joke. Him being the ace, the top black skater.
I don't know the whole Consolidated story but Leticia coming forward saying he still texts and harasses her. That other rider talking about how JJ fucked with him. All that stuff is believable to me.
I used to love Converse but I stopped with them when I found out Nike owned them. I've got nothing to boycott really.
It would be nice if someone said something from some of his sponsors. The apology was a bit weak I thought.
Who know what will happen. You have JT at DLX saying something. I don't know the whole story but TNT beat up that girl but that was OK but they speak out against JJ.
I think the whole industry is watching to see what's up.
That slap thread should have Kendall over at SC a little nervous

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next