SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Is it just me, or...
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Is it just me, or...

SantaCruzDude
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
... has the vintage skateboard market recently hit an all-time high? I don’t fully follow all the sales history of skateboard buying/selling, but I do try and keep up here st SNB, on eBay, and I do occasionally add prices to AOS... it just seems like people are pumping tons of cash into the collecting market as of lately, but maybe it’s just me.

For example:

How about that purple Grosso blocks for $4,477
And the orange one that sold right after for $4,250?
A used Red Dip Grosso Demon drilled and with grip: $2,200
‘97 Zorlac Team Deck: $721 (even the 80s Zorlacs barely get this much)
‘92 Real James Kelch: $7,100
‘86 Santa Cruz Bullet Team Deck: $810 (weren’t these like $300-$350 for NOS like 2 years ago?)
‘90 Julien Stranger Lowrider: $1,985
‘88 Jessee Martinez SMA handshake: $3,405
A mini JJ SunGod - Teal Stain in Shrink sold for $1,100 in January, and now a JJ Natty full-size out of shrink sold for for $2,125
Natty Salba Witch Dr. with some water staining went for $2,800

Anyhow, I know these are of course all rare and getting harder to find... but these prices just seemed to have jumped into outer space.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:37 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 08 Dec 2007 Posts: 1253 Location: Tootgarook.....Australia.
Yeah man....it's a bubble.....a bubble full of noobs.
Dat bubble gunna burst ....GFC........."sell now"......."buy later"...hehe.

Noob dude is in for profit and instant prestige......no nostalgic yearning.....no life time learning......insta all about the earning.

IMHO......I got no idea what's goin' on.
charlieee
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:33 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Dec 2007 Posts: 1253 Location: Tootgarook.....Australia.
Ha...my rant was probably directed at the the re-issue market....but still count everything I just said.

$7,100 for a piece of ply wood with a print of a boy with his arms outstretched is still cracking me up..... .....that was the best.

SELL NOW.............buy back later....
swelbow
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 am Reply with quote
While Toys-r-us goes bankrupt

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 am Reply with quote
There are a lot more people actively collecting decks than there used to be and this has been driving prices up. Noobs start with reissues then graduate onto OG's. They haven't been doing it for long so they buy shit for ridiculous prices because it's their "Grail" and then sell it a few months later when something else is the collector deck du jour...
SantaCruzDude
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
All good points. Yeah, maybe a bubble, or maybe the market has reached a group of noobs willing to spend their kids’ college funds for instant street cred. I’ve been through a few bubbles, but this one seems to be raising the bar.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
witnessing the next wave...

remember when SC decks got the first bump pre facebook and instagram days...

Guys were freaking out sayin the Atomic Man, Grave Digger and all the other more commons werent worth high selling prices.

it's those days x10 in facebook land.

exposure is at an all time high. '
lots of newbies in the market with disposable income

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jul 2014 Posts: 1071 Location: Gatineau, Quebec Canada
I've seen this happen with Dinky and Corgi toys - they were so expensive to get in the 90's when I had to compete with 40 - 50 year olds trying to recapture their youth - an Avro Vulcan (500 made just for Ottawa, Ontario Canada) was a $25,000 toy (if it was mint), but then, those guys started retiring, getting operations, going on vacation and the new collectors don't care for the AV's as much cause it wasn't something they grew up with - now they sell around 2-5k - expensive, but still a huge drop. I can't see that happening with Mullen's, Hawk's, or others featured in video games - but it's possible, so many youngster's don't remember them - they have other heroes like Sheckler, Muska, etc - so they are probably willing to pay more money for those than someone they never heard of.

Blue TG Dagger with Wheel Wells
Any colour:
Neptune Shark Tail
Grosso AiW
Lucero Creature X1
Salba Witch Doctor
jwd
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
Turner Summerskis have gone up a lot in the last couple of years, and they appeal mainly to old guys. There's one of eBay uk at £400 at the moment. I'd say part of it is people wanting to show what they've got on various Facebook groups, and feeling left out if they don't have certain decks.
sonicdan
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote
interesting posts & thoughts here. I was actually thinking many decks were going DOWN in value, while some of the 'icons' were climbing further up...

speaking of Grossos - could his loveletters have helped him & his decks??

there might be 'noobs', indeed, who've never skated in those days but who dig further in skateboard history and see the cult status of some older pros. not sure if that makes you shell out big dollars for a deck, though... but if it does, at least all this might be a positive trend in the sense that it makes the younger generations aware of the history & culture of skateboarding.

oh, and this...

charlieee wrote:

$7,100 for a piece of ply wood with a print of a boy with his arms outstretched is still cracking me up.....

... might apply to ANY kind of 'value' we humans give to an object - and also to money itself. $7100 in bills is just a bunch of printed paper...

check the art markets... I've been watching some auctions on tribal art, lately. a different universe for sure - but the same idea : what does that object represent (not graphic-wise), what does it mean to the buyer?

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next