SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  PRESS RELEASES, COMPANY ANNOUNCEMENTS, NEWS & SALES  »  Flight - New Powell deck contruction
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Flight - New Powell deck contruction

gilesyboy
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Powell putting some of their energies and profit margins into innovation. The boutique and reissue deck market is becoming tiresome and somewhat depressing. All these reissues now have been available longer the original issues and in far greater numbers.

I'll pick one up when they come across the pond. I did skate the Almost Mullen Uberlight and found it difficult to manipulate on tricks. I think the weight loss will only benefit technical tricksters. Us older guys whose style was developed on heavy woods may struggle to achieve any benefits. I agree it does defeat the object if you are adding risers. I also think if you are putting 60 mm wheels on these and independent trucks you will not feel any real difference as that is a lot of weight.
You really need superlight trucks like Tensor Mag Lights combined with 51-54 mm wheels if not smaller to develop a real technically proficient light rig. This is not the natural kit us older guys buy to skate with unless of course you are Rodney or Daewon. We tend to like our wheels big and trucks wide. Companies like Welcome serve our needs with good big boards and Orb wheels.

Nonetheless, the skateboard industry should be positioned and energised for the youth as it is them who innovate and will stop the skateboard industry being swallowed up in nostalgia. I am a collector but feel the reissue madness is going bonkers since they hit the $100 dollars RRP.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
stew wrote:
Anyone notice that you can't mount trucks flush to the Flight deck due to the concave? I had to use soft risers and in the game of weight doesn't that seem like a flaw? the truck beds aren't flat at all on mine.

Mine mounted fairly flush, I do use a 1/8" soft riser and that may have helped.

I also put on a set of Indy Titaniums to cut down weight, I don't have current weight measured but it is noticeably different than my other setups. Have taken mine out a few more times since the last few posts- I dig the concave and I am getting used to the board being lighter. everyone that has ridden it has commented on how light it is- makes it easier to do street tricks once you get used to the weight.
stew
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I've had one chance to ride this thing and its very stiff and very light and as such I found that it's really easy to keep my speed in my local little bowl. I found some kid doing double heelflips on some worn out wood board and had him try my bigger flight deck. He reported that it felt great. I also noticed, after the session, that the trucks with the 1/8 risers are more flush than they were at first. I feel that the risers make it too high though and since skating with 56's and really loose trucks got me no wheel bite (kind of deep concave) I think I'll take the risers off and have a deck that I hope will last a long time.

I agree that a technical skater is probably going to find more joy from this but I still enjoyed very much putting forth almost no effort on keeping my speed up.
stew
Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
Ok, I rode the flight deck for about 10 regular sessions. These were all in the park, all riding a small bowl. No gaps were jumped, no railings ground, etc. After one of the later sessions the board started to feel mushy and I gave it a detailed once over and discovered that it was delaminating on both sides of the tail just past where the baseplate ends and curve begins. One side was worse and I was able to insert a sticker into the separation of the plies.

I got in touch with skateone and sent the clear digital photos and description of the issue. They required that I pack the board up and send it back so, 20 bucks later (its partly my fault for using heavier weight cardboard), my board is in Goleta. They were quick to replace the deck with another of the same size though the new one is labeled "BLEM" instead of being stamped with a 246-whatever the original one was.

I just got it and I hope, considering the additional cost of shipping the defect back, that this board (which I've now spend like $95.00 on) lasts more than a dozen sessions or so.
EastCoastBP
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Got some new Bones THawk TBones SPF 58mm wheels from Bones Wheels this week and got the board out to Brook Run park locally. Nothing exciting- some power slides, carving the shallow pool (no way I get in the deep pool there), a few kick-flips on the street run. The new wheels are super fast but surprisingly grippy- as long as you don't push them too hard. The deck has 5 or 6 sessions on it and it is holding up like new for me. Demonstrated the flex on the board for a few of the kids at the park by turning the board upside down and jumping on it- no damage other than some scrapes to the grip tape on the nose/tail. The current setup is the 8.5" Flight deck, Indy titanium 159's, SPF TBones 58's, and Rockin' Rons- the deck is super light, fast, and solid so far, no flex or wobble at higher speeds. Will continue to post up when I take it out, I will also try to get some pics up when I figure out the Photobucket replacement...
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 22 Aug 2005 Posts: 609 Location: Home of the 906 Militia
i remember when libtech made skateboards, my buddy had one, i fuckin hated that deck!!!

WAY TOOOOOO STIFF

sure it lasted longer, but it felt like shit, but those were heavy

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3