SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  So long, Silverfish
Page 4 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

So long, Silverfish

slavadov
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
hambo wrote:
I liked the site until it became "what are the best wheels for sliding.com"

Unfortunately, that aspect evidently drove quite a few people away. I've heard Silverfish described by one disgruntled fellow as "a cancer on longboarding." As the community grew and the site evolved, they added a reputation points system with the intention of getting the community to moderate itself. What actually happened was the probably predictable rep circle jerks and, on the flip side, neg-rep parties and mass bullying.

DILLINGERxCAPE
Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
damn... this place is like my first job as a teenager was...

good fuckin times for a long while. then people I liked left and moved on. some new ones came in i did like as well as ones that I didnt like. Eventually the dynamic of the group had changed to the point where I decided it was time to spend less time and move on too.. popping in every now and again but never really establishing new relationships with current guys like the ones I had before when I was in it.

until one day, they went out of business.

I hope this place doesn't go out of business... but I cant say I'm a regular anymore anyway.

Im not sure what the daily viewer/ user viewing is anymore. I can see the post counts are down severely when I jump on and see "posts since my last visit" and its only a few pages instead of the sometimes 20 pages it used to be. Forums like chat rooms, yahoo groups, etc. will always be OG in my mind but perhaps just a necessary stepping stone in the evolution of online groups/ community. now that [anti] social media is here and mainstream we can all be instantly connected. the younger gens coming up are embracing it hard and things are changing fast. there is a new app doing some variable of one before it every month. I cant keep up.

this place is like reading the newspaper.. OR perhaps going to the library. Remember card catalogs? lol . the world moves so fucking fast and twitter provides instant news of any kind and searching collections on IG via hashtag has led me to some AMAZING scores. FB had the same thing going at first but I disconnected that shit about 9 months ago cause it was just too much. too many k00ks and shit was 1000x's more clicky than things ever got in here.

Its sad when I hear that supporting the site is too expensive and more resources / servers are needed. Feels like there should be a way to cut down on the size of this place OR at the very least come up with a better way to monetize it. If there are truly a lot of members and lurkers and you have the eyes and ears of so many in the industry then there surely is a way to capitalize on it.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
DILLINGERxCAPE wrote:
"posts since my last visit" and its only a few pages instead of the sometimes 20 pages it used to be.

Numbers are down but that has been broken for some time. The "Who is online" has been broken for years. We didn't fix them as they are security issue to begin with.

Page 4 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4