SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Oil or water-based urethane?
Page 1 of 1    

Oil or water-based urethane?

Brent212
Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Didn't realize I'd have to choose until I got to home depot. I went with oil-based, just because a guy working said water-based makes the wood harder, which I thought would be bad with it needing to bend and flex. Seems like with water-based it might have a higher risk of the ply cracking.

Also, spar urethane vs polyurethane? I've seen it recommended that spar is used for the top layer, with polyurethane for the parts not being skated on, and it seems like that was because polyurethane's cheaper, but doesn't produce as "skateable" a surface. But I'm seeing them for identical prices, so is there any reason not to just go with spar for the whole ramp?
skateight
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Spar is a marine product, and really protects well from weather, but it's slippery as snot.
I've tried everything, and should have gone with pressure treated wood and skatelight surface. It's more expensive, but worth it.
That's not much help if you've bought the wood, or built already.
Brent212
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Haven't bought any of the surface ply yet (still building frame), so I *could* just use the spar for the frame and sub-surface ply, and go with skatelight or ramp armor for top, but that shit's just so crazy expensive!

Is it really that slick? Aren't there ways to add some grip? I mopped my previous, masonite-covered (indoor), ramp with cola once when it was getting slippery, and it seemed to help.
Brent212
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Or what about "Skatepaint" (http://skatepaint.com). I assumed it's just overpriced spar, but if it's grippy then maybe it's worth it.
JDN
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Ive tried everything also and nothing can withstand the test of time and weather. Skatelight or sheetmetal for the top layer is the way to go. The only way ive been able to afford it is finding it used from old skateparks that have shut down or ramps being torn down and a lot of networking. Luckily my ramp I have now is in a garage so I just used Masonite for a top layer.

JDN
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Also I might ad a good sturdy tarp to cover it with when your not skating will help it last.

oneendone
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I've used thompsons water seal on multiple ramps and it worked well most times. Thing is you just need one thin coat or else it can get super slippery. Also,,once the sprinkle of rain starts you're done. The slivers aren't too fun either...

Wanted: Nos white dip Santa Cruz Special Edition Mechanical Fish
skateight
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Skatepaint is bullshit, might as well use regular paint at a fraction of the cost.
You can get a texture additive in the paint section.
I see you're in SanDiego, do you get much rain there?
Either way, I'd paint the frame with exterior latex or oil, and use pressure treated ply for the surface.
If you don't get much rain, you could possibly put masonite for the top layer.
marker
Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
just weathered the 10th winter on our skatelite with nothing covering it. Only one small blemish around one of the screw holes. Crazy how great of a product it is. I know its expensive and we were lucky to get some blems close to home.

Page 1 of 1