SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Lumber types
Page 1 of 1    

Lumber types

Brent212
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Any recommendations on lumber types? I had an indoor ramp for 10 years, but basically got the cheapest wood because I didn't have to worry about the elements, and all was cool. But now I'm going to build an outdoor ramp, in a fairly humid climate (San Diego), and am trying to figure out what the optimal wood is if I really want it to be as solid as possible, while not throwing money away at unnecessarily expensive shit.

I heard that kiln dried is good because it won't warp as much, but the stuff I saw at Home Depot was actually the cheapest, so I'm doubting it's also the best, although perhaps for my application it is?

Is it always preferable to go with pressure treated wood? Both for the 2x4s and the ply wood?

Redwood? Cedar? Pine? "Prime"? Other? The options are overwhelming when you have next to no experience.
gheepup
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
Pressure treated lumber and plywood for the structure if you want it to last outdoors.
Brent212
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Just got back from a lumber yard. All the pressure treated wood was fir. I'm assuming that' s fine, but it was also "green", which perhaps is the case for all pressure treated wood? However, isn't that liable to warp?

With my first ramp, I think I got kiln dried 2x4s, which I've heard are the *least* likely to warp, and yet even then, there was some issues with them warping a bit just as I was building it.

Seems like other than the flat bottom, where the 2x4s will be near/touching the ground/cinder blocks, the 2x4s in the transitions might not need to be treated? Just seemed like the pressure treated fir was sort of low quality (soft, lots of knots, some even had straight up cracks) compared to cheaper stuff I've seen at Home Depot. Maybe it's just the place I went to, although I expected a legit lumber yard to have better shit than Home Depot.
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Concrete.
Sticks
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
PT Fir is fine.

You're in Norcal? Plain fir for most of it, PT at the ground. Get redwood if you're concerned about PT fir.

http://www.sierrafence.com/

Page 1 of 1