SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  Boots & Helmet Question
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Boots & Helmet Question

Buddur
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Want to get back on the slopes (last snowboard I bought was in '91). I intend to rent board/bindings, and I have all clothing apparel I need other than boots and a helmet. Looking at rental costs for the board/bindings the boots are included (~$40) with an extra minimal rental cost (~$10) for a helmet. For whatever reason, I feel I should have my own boots and helmet.

I'll only hit the slopes maybe a half dozen times a season. So, am I right on needing my own foot and headwear, or is rental the way to go?

Btw, I'm looking at these...
Burton Concord BOA® Snowboard Boots
Smith Optics Sequel Ski Helmet

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Buy your own boots...don't need fancy. Bern Macon is a good helmet. Converts into a skate helmet for the off season.
scs
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
I'd definetly buy my own boots & helmet (think foot funk/lice) but I wouldn't spend too much on them if you are just getting back into it. Go with some cheap burton invaders from past seasons or something along those lines, prob score some for $50-75 vs $200+. Don't want to dump a ton of dough on getting back into it casually. Cheaper boots will be more flexible and that will help getting back into it, real stiff boots are not beginner friendly. Upgrade after your into it a while & get some wear on those, then you'll know exactly what you need for your style & ability. Same thing with the helmet, bern's are decent and you can usually find them fairly cheap ($50-75) just make sure it fits good. If I were to dump decent money on either I'd go with the helmet though as you'll have that much longer then the boots.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

I've been looking at stuff from Sierra Trading Post, a website I've gotten a crapload of hiking gear from since they always have last years stuff for cheap. I chose the helmet based on the reviews, and the boots since they seemed to be the best of all Burton's to choose from.

If you got any suggestions of online deals for boots and helmets let me know. STP has that Bern Macon helmet, and I'd be all over it if I didn't buy a new S1 last year.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Haven't purchased yet. Don't want to jump the gun. Been doing alot of searching other online sales, reading reviews and buyers guides, and dang there's alot of choices. I got a much better idea of what I want/need now. Watching and waiting for a great deal.

I was a decent rider back in the day and feel confident I'll get up to speed quickly...legs and lungs willing.

My old boards, got the Sims in '82'-83, Burton in '87, and G&S in '91. Still have the G&S and Sims.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Shop around towards the end of the season when everything goes on clearance. evo.com backcountry.com you can usually find decent deals. A lot of skateboard sites sell snowboard stuff as well, you can usually find good deals on those if you just search around a bit.

Yeah you'll pick it right up again, just like riding a bike. Sweet boards! I only have one of my old riders, wish I kept more of them.

You'll dig the new gear once you get set up. Stuff just works so much better now then back in the day, expesically bindings.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Ended up with 2016 Burton AMB boots at 47% discount and a Pret Effect helmet at 56% off. Got some Anon goggles for cheep too.

Wow have boots come a long way. Back when I got the Air in '87 I also got a pair of Burton boots, and both of them together weighed a ton. These boots and helmet are light as a feather, and technical as shit. I'm impressed.

My buddy and I got plans to hit the slopes in a few weeks on Friday 1/27. Can't wait.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Those both look nice, should be good to go now. Make sure to ONLY use the goggle bag that came with your annons to clean them. I used a bag/cloth from an older set of goggles to wipe my annons and scraped them up.

Tech had definetly come a long way, shit's lightweight and comfortable now. Boards have come a long way as well. If you ride a lot of ice you might want to look into lib w/magnatraction when it comes time to get a board, shit eats ice. Have fun out there!

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
scs wrote:
Make sure to ONLY use the goggle bag that came with your annons to clean them. I used a bag/cloth from an older set of goggles to wipe my annons and scraped them up.

I read that in the maintenance but figured I'd just use my bandanna. Good to know. I'll be sure to bring the bag.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
I fucking tore it up yesterday...that's how I felt after almost every run. Polished off the rusty spots by the second run, and that board was mine the rest of the day. The rental guy gave me a 151cm based on my height/weight and said he just tuned it up. So much lighter and responsive than I remember, that board did everything I wanted it to. Black diamonds were no sweat. Never fell once. I didn't try anything other than speed and carve...rapid quick and tight to long speedy carves across the slope. Stuck to the sides for the most part hitting fresh powder and pushing the edge. To my surprise, my legs and lungs held from 9:30am to 3pm no problem, and since it was Friday morning sure there were others there but it was like we had the slopes to ourselves until the afternoon. I pushed my buddy's limits the whole day.

Convinced myself on the drive home that I need my own board/bindings.....cause....well...I already wasted $35 on rental that could have gone towards my own board. lol

Oh yeah....boots and helmet fit well with no issues at all.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next