SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  VIDEO & IMAGES  »  November rain brings wetness
Page 1 of 1    

November rain brings wetness

gheepup
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
So, I haven't been able to skate since early October up here in the Pacific Northwet. Short days plus too much rain and not enough sun to dry things out means no skating and I don't live near any indoor parks. I have been jonesing to get out there for some time now and it got to be too much.

I started thinking, uh oh. What if I bought some super cheap 608zz bearings online? 40 bearings for ten bucks shipped. Bearing destruction due to wetness problem solved at 25 cents/bearing. Hang on though, I have to wait for them to arrive. I dug through my box of goodies and managed to find 8 abused but useable 608zz bearings that came out of some 80's wheels awhile back. Apparently I had enough forethought to save them for a rainy day.

On to wheels. I figure all my pool and ramp wheels are too hard to ride in the wet. I dug through my box of goodies again and found some coned out Sims Street Wheels (rumored to do well in the wet) and OJ Street Juice 63's. Perfect!

My board choice to ruin in the rain was rather easy. All my collectable OG riders are out so I was left with the restoration/de-restoration project board or the one I shaped from a blank. I decided to continue the destruction of my project board for continued durability testing purposes.

My 11 year old son has been jonesing to skate too so I set up his board with the Sims Streets and mine with the OJ's. Time to roll.

Here it is pre wet session set up.

We set off for the closest skatepark and found Raab Park covered in evergreen needles and water. Skatelite ramps with wet concrete covered in needles looked too treacherous so we moved on. Next we checked the BI bowl which is older and we figured the crete might be grippy enough to ride. We found puddles and wetness on the flats but the walls looked dry enough.

Hey that board looks Matchy Matchy Tea Party worthy now.
I swept the puddles toward the drains and scooped out some small branches, needles, a rotten mushroom and a few fir cones. Here is Graham testing the waters after the sweeping.

gheepup
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Woops! I hit Submit by mistake. Oh well. Where was I?

Oh yeah...testing the waters...Grip tape is not to grippy with wet feet and fir needles stuck to it. The OJ Street Juice 63's felt grippy enough in the wet so we skated and rolled through puddles.

and rolled through muck.

I only slammed once and really it had nothing to do with the wet and more to do with my front wheels sticking to the wall when I thought I could drag them around. Too much grip. The nose stuck to the wall while I kept turning to slam.

The walls were super grippy with these wheels and I never slid out on the walls.

Pumping in the flats and transitions was a bit sketchy and slow wheels and shitty bearings made for short but fun runs.

Our boards got dirty.

Our wheels got clean.

Our bearings got ruined.

I got slightly damaged.

We got to ride and had a blast in the wet bowl! Now we know we can skate in the wet. Maybe next weekend it will be raining?
Herwig
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 25 Apr 2010 Posts: 3675 Location: Hicksville :-), Lower Bavaria
Your threads are always the most comprehensive, most entertaining and definitely most encouring ones on here.

btw, I like your last photo which emphasizes the fun you had despite the not so funny park and weather conditions.

Big ups to the both of you!

skateboarding is forever!
Obed
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Dedicated dudes! I love it.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Awesome, Rad times!

Page 1 of 1