SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  VALUE OF A SPECIFIC SKATEBOARD  »  Whatz it worth..Z-Flex Team Deck?
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Whatz it worth..Z-Flex Team Deck?

GRIM SHADY
Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:54 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 16 Jul 2002 Posts: 1311 Location: Damn, this thing got tet-tris
is this th one alvin had? as i understand it he paid $2800 for it and it DID come from jay... regardless it is an AWESOME looking board!
www.spyhillskates.com
Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:19 pm Reply with quote
What's awesome specifically? To me it's like a Beamer (which I happen to be fond of) which has kinda cool materials with stickers on it. I'd rather have the Beamer because I like pigs, but I can see getting sentimental over an OG Adams deck. It seem to me that Cahill's Zephyr has tons more history and that didn't go that high, so it must be the swirly colors in the plastic that make it awesome???
oldskoolrulz
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:06 am Reply with quote
spyhill, the reason I said awesome is because this deck represents dogtown from it's inception, they were supposedly only made for zephyr team members AND it was owned by JA himself. What else needs to be said? True piece of skateboarding history...
www.spyhillskates.com
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:57 am Reply with quote
There's a Z on eBay that someone got from Jay that he actually rode. There's even a picture of him riding it. That seems to have much more of a connection to Adams than this. The Cahill Zephyr (hell of alot more OG teamrider than this board) only went for $2500. I'm sure the teamriders are rare. I've never seen one available. My point here is on the value, but it sounds like I'm probably wrong. There's no way I'd spend $3000 on a board that doesn't even have cool graphics, but apparently I'm in a minority. I just thought someone could straighten me out on what makes this or any other Z-Flex for that matter look "awesome". Graphics and personality are probably the main criteria for a cool board. This board comes strong with personality (Jay was the original skate punk), but fizzles on looks (IMO).
Smakutus
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
The photo in that auction says that the board that is for sale is not the same board in the JA pool photo.

I'm assuming by the Bob Biniak DT deck price mention that this is z-boycollector's auction?

Outt..
Jeff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GRIM SHADY
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:40 pm Reply with quote
spyhill-T, i dont think i need to expound on the reasons i think the board is cool as your questions to me are in fact all the answers. rider, time, history, taste, company.... you know i really go after graphic-laiden boards but that doesnt mean this board doesnt meet my esteem. i simply think its great.

and z-boycollector is not the seller for either the biniak spoken of nor the yellow adams- hackett is selling that one so you know it's legit.

[ This Message was edited by: GRIM SHADY on 2002-09-11 21:45 ]
oldskoolrulz
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:22 pm Reply with quote
yep, and you're really comparing apples to oranges here anyway, the z and the beamer are valued and admired for clearly different reasons. Both have their places in sk8 history, I think it comes down to the period you skated and what influenced you the most as to which of these decks you'd deem more valuable, jmho...
www.spyhillskates.com
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Going back the top of this thread (the Beamer reference is just confusing things), I persoanlly feel that a mint Biniak is pretty fucking special because Dogtown Skates is the shit and the artwork was groundbreaking at the time. Yes there are rarer decks like Z-Boys Adams team model, but as we've often seen rarer doesn't make it better/more valuable. I'm sure that Grim Shady's Bearing Cab had many, many more boards hit the streets than a JA Team Model. Would you trade that for the the Z given the chance? I'm fairly sure that I know the answer, but maybe whimsy would take over and prove my wrong.
GRIM SHADY
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:39 am Reply with quote
i'm not THAT whimsical-hahaha. and i couldnt agree w/ you more about the biniak comment. man, i'd really be stoked to get a black one w/ those flat-cut wheelwells and PINK outline... oh, well.
z-boycollector
Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:09 am Reply with quote
I got this particular Teamrider from Alvin Peng who got it from someone who was given it by Adams back in the day.. Thats the story. I indeed have no way of verifying this of course. I do take T.L. for his word, however. I also have a wooden "New School" Jay Adams deck that I got off of ebay that is a prototype of the now discontinued Jay Adams Z-Flex fron the Zprod site. This one I verified as authentic through Shogo who emailed the picture of the deck to Jay. Jay said yes, it was the only prototype. It's very cool as the whole thing is done in Jays handwriting with marker. I don't know what it's worth. I paid a few hundred not even being sure it was legit, but took a chance and scored a nice piece. As I see it, if you want a board for you personal collection and it clicks for you then who the hell cares. You got to fill a hole in your collection and can resell if need be for a decent chunk of change.
KK

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2