SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  EVENTS  »  Get Rad For Ray in Raleigh, NC
Page 1 of 1    

Get Rad For Ray in Raleigh, NC

Str8jakit
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be an amazing event! I'm going and felt that I'd share this for anyone who can make it.

Tony Hawk And Other Skate Legends To Descend Upon Raleigh For Free Event

Hawk, Christian Hosoi, Steve Caballero, Eddie Elguera, Ben Raybourn, and other skateboard legends confirmed to appear at Marsh Creek Skatepark for Ray Underhill charity event on 10/18.

Tony Hawk is bringing the 80s back to Raleigh, North Carolina’s Marsh Creek Skatepark. At least skateboarding’s version of that notorious decade. And he’s not coming alone.

Hawk and friends have organized the Get Rad For Ray Presented By Endless Grind charity event to celebrate the life and legacy of one of skateboarding’s all-time greats, Ray Underhill. A Wilmington, NC native, Underhill was a member of the infamous Bones Brigade squad of the 1980s, a teammate of Hawk’s, and known for his smooth skating style. But his friends remember him best for his kindness, wit, and dedication—his true enduring legacies.

“Ray was a great friend,” said Hawk. “We miss him every day, so we’re coming to Raleigh to remember him the best way we know—to skate in his honor while helping others!”

The world lost Ray in 2008, after his long battle with Chordoma, a rare but relentless spinal cancer. To honor his life, Ray’s family and friends have joined the City Of Raleigh to host the inaugural Get Rad For Ray Presented By Endless Grind skateboarding contest and 80s-themed Legends jam session at the Marsh Creek Skatepark. This will be a free public event to celebrate Ray with an amazing display of local and legendary skate talent, and to raise funds for the Ray Underhill Foundation, which supports NC families affected by Chordoma.

Get Rad For Ray is a family-style event that will feature a festival area with food and vendors, as well as three different skateboarding events. A beginners’ skate clinic will start the celebration and get kids new to the Marsh Creek Skatepark off to a solid and safe start. An amateur contest will give local talent the opportunity to shine and impress. And the day will conclude with an 80s-themed Legends skate jam, featuring top new talent mixing it up with some of the most famous names in skateboarding—Tony Hawk, Christian Hosoi, Steve Caballero, Eddie Elguera, Mike McGill, Ben Raybourn, Kevin Staab, Grant Taylor, Brad McClain, Ben Hatchell, and Curren Caples among them.

“This is an incredible collection of skate talent,” said Hawk. “Top names from the 70s, 80s, and today—all skating together in one event. If I weren’t joining them in the session, I’d definitely want to be there to see it!”

Attendees will have several opportunities to support the Ray Underhill Foundation via donations and raffles throughout the day.

Skaters wishing to participate in the morning skate clinic must register at either of the following skateboard shops:
Endless Grind (424 W Peace St, Raleigh, NC 27603; 919-828-5877)
Vertical Urge (7407 Six Forks Rd, Raleigh, NC 27615; 919-870-7766)
Space is limited for the skate clinic, and parents must be present to register minors.

Skaters wishing to compete in the amateur skate contest must register at www.TheBoardr.com/GR4R.

The fun kicks off at 11 AM, Saturday, October 18, 2014 at Marsh Creek Skatepark and continues through the afternoon. Come help the legends of skateboarding celebrate the life of a true champion, and support the Ray Underhill Foundation’s efforts to assist families affected by Chordoma.

For sponsorship opportunities contact Steven Perelman:
[email protected] or 916-955-4391

Get Rad For Ray
Saturday, October 18, 2014
11 AM – 4 PM
Marsh Creek Skatepark
3016 N New Hope Rd
Raleigh, NC 27604

Parking will not be available at Marsh Creek Skatepark the day of the event. Shuttles will be available beginning at 10:00 a.m. at the Walnut Creek Amphitheater parking lot, located off of Sunnybrook Road (at Rock Quarry Road).

www.GetRadForRay.org[/img]
Sticks
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
Awesome.
Ricketts
Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Sucks tomorrow is my saturday to work for the month.

Ken Park Crystal Ball
Grabke HBT (Purple stain)
Lee American Icons
slob-air
Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
That'd be cool to see. Get pics/vid!

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
You got it. So stoked for tomorrow! Hitting two backyard bowls on they way to the demo. I'm so hyped to watch the legends and the young rippers. I'll definitely post some pics and vids for everyone.
Old*skaterdude
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Such an awesome event today. Lots of great bowl riding . All the pro's very cool with signing stuff for every one . Hope they do this every year here in NC.
Str8jakit
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
What can I say? Today was amazing! The vibe was so good and everyone was ripping hard. From the pros to the young guns.
This was great event for a great cause!
There was a lot of emotion as we remembered the life and contributions of legendary skater Ray Underhill.
Everyone showed their respects and put on one insane demo.
Thanks to Endless Grind, The Tony Hawk Foundation and Grind For Life for making this such a memorable day.

FYI...Check out my friend Brian Twitty's photos. He will be posting more and more in the next few days as well.

Check them out at www.vertskateboarding.com or Brian Twitty on Facebook.
polock
Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I was there and posted a bunch of pictures to my facebook page. Jim T. being there was a nice surprise and he was really cool! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmpIajFiaC4

I am the kook in the pink rat bones shirt at the 2:04 mark in the lower left corner when Hawk is talking

Page 1 of 1