SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HARDCORE PUNK & SKATE ROCK  »  Bar owner rant
Page 1 of 1    

Bar owner rant

lilsheeda
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Had a couple weeks of fun of late...and was clued in that not much has changed with bar owners - still mainly unappreciative rip off wackjobs.

Late night ramble -

Not trying to give music a go another round 15-20 years later, but damn crooks.

"Free shows" are taking over more than ever- you pack the club and zero pay? Even had 10% revenue promise for last Sat, put the bands and show together - packed 150-200+ people floating/drinking all night. Paid jack - called it out and was told "I don't even want to pay that". Deep breath~

That was a shame me twice situation. 1st time the 10% was mostly mine and a friends' own bar tab...damn near Blues Brothers.

Great idea - rawhide the whole show next time - no 3rd shaming.
strong reaction
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 Posts: 1482 Location: A field in Ireland
I love putting on gigs but the mentality of bar owners in Belfast means I now do it once every 2 years rather than every few months.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
lilsheeda wrote:
rawhide the whole show next time - no 3rd shaming.

Sounds kinky. In fact I think I saw this at the Folsom St Fair last year.

On the real though, can you translate?
lilsheeda
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Sticks wrote:
lilsheeda wrote:
rawhide the whole show next time - no 3rd shaming.

Sounds kinky. In fact I think I saw this at the Folsom St Fair last year.

On the real though, can you translate?

Ha! ride em in...rawhide! Wrote a good song called "Let'r Buck" after the Pendleton rodeo years ago.

So 1st trip - filled up the bar for the night / 2 bands- our gig. 10% of cocktails = $41 total. Funny that 10% of my own and a friends tab = $20+. So the bar made 200 bucks the whole night removing me and a friend.

Part 2 - super fill the bar...might say packed. Told the bands [Check Hardship Anchors - cool youngins] that pack the bar, get paid. Busy all night - 100+ just surrounding the band (I counted all night). Total pay for 3 bands $100.

So we called bullshit- owner said, that's it and I don't even want to pay the bands anyway.

Everyone is expected to play for free these days. Packed house doesn't change. Even Alex's and Clancy's is doing it. This shit blew up in Austin according to a friend/old bandmate that still makes a living doing it.

So we are already on a bill with the Decline next month, same bar. Don't want to deep six it, but man...

_______Oh - remember Max Steiners? New name - Black Light (They pay), but dude went off on some lesbian punker. Black eye of shame now. Ripped her a little about Wining lesbians, gave her the gig and she went off apparently. I don't do facebook, but apparently it's there on their page via another post. Largely all gets removed quickly though.
hotrod
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
There was a guy in Manchester who used to organise Psychobiilly gigs.
They didn't do too badly turnout wise but there was rumours that he was a bit iffy when it came to payments etc.
Then he sorted out a Meteors gig.
He tried to do a runner with the money then hid in the cellar at the venue.
I remember seeing someone from the K walking in with a very nasty looking axe from the back of the van.
From what people in Manchester have told me, the band got their pay and some reason, the promotor has never been seen ever again.

....but I can skate for Bacon wrapped hotdogs with pulled pork and Glass bottled Dr Pepper!
lilsheeda
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome - I don't know the cause, but there was a joint in Seattle called the Store Room - I HOPE someone here went there at some time. Madness.

First time walking up the road to the bar- the bartender came leatherface style, with a running chainsaw after 2 fools down the back stairs and down the street...seriouslike. Fire in her eyes.

How much speed could one take and excel at pool? Or shoot behind the curtain? THe place was a wreck - $1 Black Labels.

Battle Axe and Seattle Chainsaw - fitting either way.

Page 1 of 1