SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  98a or 100a?
Page 1 of 1    

98a or 100a?

Gunk
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Looking to get the Speedlab TimeFlies wheels but caught between which duro to get. I'm looking for super speed but at the same time I want something that's a comfyish ride for shitty and good concrete.
slob-air
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:26 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
The distance between the two is negligible and the natural variance in most urethane wheels.

I've ridden both (under their former name) and they're killer, period. You won't notice 2 durometers of difference.

Fuck it, get a set of each.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
The distance between the two is negligible and the natural variance in most urethane wheels.

I've ridden both (under their former name) and they're killer, period. You won't notice 2 durometers of difference.

can't afford a set of each

maybe the 100a is the better buy because a) I get the harder duro and more speed and b) the wheel has a wide contact patch so that helps for grip
slob-air
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Gunk wrote:
slob-air wrote:

can't afford a set of each

maybe the 100a is the better buy because a) I get the harder duro and more speed and b) the wheel has a wide contact patch so that helps for grip

The wheel does have great grip, but a wider contact patch will break free sooner than a thinner contact patch—though when the thinner contact patch does break free its much more abrupt while a wider contact patch breaks free far smoother (awesome for slides).

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I got a set of Speed Labs Lightnings a couple months ago. They are 56mm 101a. They are smaller than my normal 60mm but they are FAST!!!! I am super impressed by their speed & they feel great on all surfaces (birch, skatelite & concrete)
slob-air
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
A smaller wheel will speed up faster. But its top speed will be slower than a larger wheel. So ideal for mini ramps, small bowls and street—anything under 6ft basically. 5ft to 10ft 60mm. 8ft to 13ft 62mm. And 10ft to 15ft 63.5+mm.

There is some cross over in terms of performance as demonstrated above as well.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Apr 2009 Posts: 5555 Location: In your backyard skating, PA
slob-air wrote:
A smaller wheel will speed up faster. But its top speed will be slower than a larger wheel. So ideal for mini ramps, small bowls and street—anything under 6ft basically. 5ft to 10ft 60mm. 8ft to 13ft 62mm. And 10ft to 15ft 63.5+mm.

There is some cross over in terms of performance as demonstrated above as well.

Professor Slob, can I ride 39mm on a 13' vert ramp?

slob-air
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
Absolutely. But you'll be very frustrated and we'll point and laugh at your bearing condoms.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 30 Oct 2009 Posts: 4792 Location: Right in the Middle of It!!! The Nexxus of the Universe!!
oldfuck wrote:
I got a set of Speed Labs Lightnings a couple months ago. They are 56mm 101a. They are smaller than my normal 60mm but they are FAST!!!! I am super impressed by their speed & they feel great on all surfaces (birch, skatelite & concrete)

I have a set of the Lightnings and Blackfartz......both are fast.

I'm looking forward to riding as soon as my body can handle it again

BigMac

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
If there's a possibility you're gonna ride shitty concrete get the 98's. I've been riding the 98's for a few years now and have even ridden them at Lansdowne which is an old 70's park with no problems and a fairly smooth ride. The same goes for ditches, etc. still a smooth ride. The 100's are great for smooth parks but rougher concrete they seem to not be as smooth as the 98's.

Now if you can score a set of the Time Flies Cruiser wheels than you could have those for the rough stuff and the 100's for the smooth. But if one set is all you can afford, you can't go wrong with the 98's in my opinion.

Page 1 of 1